1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3 prong cord on a B15 - how to make sure its safe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickles, Jan 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just got a dream amp - late 60s B15NC. It has a 3 prong power cord and the prior owner assures me the death cap has been addressed. How can I make 100% sure this thing can’t shock me or my kids. It sounds absolutely amazing.

Do I need to test the socket it’s plugged into to make sure its grounded?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. If you have a multimeter check the resistance between the plugs ground pin and the metal chassis of the amp. You should read a short circuit meaning the chassis is correctly grounded. Welcome to the ranks of B15 owners! :)

pickles likes this.
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

pictures or else ... well , you know the rest .
    :cool:

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Always a good idea to verify that such work is properly (and safely) performed.

For the bonded chassis safety ground to be effective, it must be connected to a properly grounded power source.

Korladis and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You have a very, very rare amp. Congratulations! It looks like it is in excellent condition.

I would have a tech check the amp out and to to ensure that the three conductor power cord has been properly installed. If you have an image showing the detail of how the power cord has been connected, you can post that.

An inexpensive outlet tester can be bought at Home Depot. You can use this to test that your wall outlet at home is wired correctly.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Outlet tester on the way. Any referrals for a great tube tech in sb, ventura, the conejo, or northern LA?

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    PM johnk_10 (Thousand Oaks), if he can’t help he should be able to recommend someone in your area.

10cc and agedhorse like this.