1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 pu J ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JIO, Dec 23, 2016.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I have a passive J with a standard V/V/T harness & spolit-coil pu's and want to install a 3rd hum-bucker at the 'neck-hugger' position. Is it a simple matter of adding a 3rd V pot and if so how is it connected to the harness? (one tone for all 3 V/V/V pu's)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. You'd actually have a huge amount of options if you were to split the humbucker & use one coil of it with the middle pickup.
    I think you'd need a superswitch to pull it off though.
    Three pickups would probably work out well with a 5-way switch, like Strats use.

3. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    So a switch is mandatory? Is it possible to just have 3 V pots which you could roll off seperately to segregate each if wanted?

4. The only reason to make it a switch is so you can switch to a different configuration quickly.
    If you're going to have 4 pots in there, I'd recommend all of them be at least 500k Ohm.

PortlandBass77 and Aqualung60 like this.
  5. Yes.

Just as the other two. pickup hot to the centre lug, earth at the anti-clockwise lug and hot on the clockwise lug. Id recommend shifting to three 500K linear (B taper) pots.

Personally I'd use a simple active circuit to blend three pickups. Either an active mixer, or a three-way blend pot. I could post a schematic, do you have a mate who can read these? Of course you'd need to install a battery, change the jack etc. But you'd get really nice blending possibilities.

Will_White likes this.
  6. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I'm curious, how does the three way blend pot work?
    I'd probably put the third pickup on a second output.

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Which bass are you doing this to?

8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    This one - it has a slightly different harness (series/parallel push-pull) so if I was going to go to 500k pots I'd have to start from scratch and use this harness on another bass. If there was a way I could keep this one and just add another V pot - that would be my preference. If that's not possible and I have to go more complex w/switches etc, I'll need a simple schematic to follow.The 3rd pu will be a Fender TEB 101 - I've never had a 3 pu bass so I'm open to hearing ideas from simple to complex. It's a parts bass so no biggy as far as further mods, but it sounds decent now so I'm only interested in expanding it's tonal capacity.

black & blond P makeover (etc)

IMG_0865_zpsbdbj8tsg.

LowEndWooly and Novarocker like this.
  9. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    You could just add another volume, I would replace the tone pot with a no load or TBX in order to keep overall loading the same. You wire it in just like the other volumes.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Three volumes would mess with each other quite a bit. It's not "wrong" by any means. But a selector switch would still offer you a ton of options.

I doubt very seriously you'll find yourself in a situation where you are jamming away on the bridge and middle pickup and say to yourself "Man I wish I could dial in 10% of the neck pickup." And I'm 100% sure your audience and every other member of your band will never ever think that...like ever.:D

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    This is what's in it now - as I said, it's kinda its own thing so I wouldn't tamper with it.(especially the tone pot) It's a Kellingsound harness w/push-pull mid-sweep 500k tone pot.

IMG_0348_zps7rtu40xk.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    ColdEye and leonard like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You could get far more tonal options and range by simply installing a comparatively inexpensive but high quality active preamp (like an Audere Jazz or Pro-JZ3) and just using that with the pickups you already have.

Envincibal and MattZilla like this.
  13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Yah, I hear you - I'm not trying to impress anybody and totally agree about what's actually heard at a live show. (boom-boom-boom to most people) In fact, I'm always harping on my guitarist for excessive fussing! I'm just interested in tone-dialing for my own curiosity and know these 3 pu basses exist so I figure why not.

Maybe I'm not framing my interest clearly… I use an Audere JZ3 in a couple of my J's and love them both. I'm most interested in keeping this one passive if possible and as simple as possible. Having never set up a 3 pu bass leaves me open to possibilities starting from my initial stated interests. Thanks for your help! :)

14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    One aspect of 3 pu's I would like to hear is the north-south mix (neck hugger pu/standard bridge pu) when they are farther apart than a standard J - and with a hum-bucker/split-coil single. So if I could control each V and turn down the 'center' pu - that's what I would like. (or turn down/off center V and bridge V and go full-up neck-hugger)

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Apologies for misunderstanding. I'm not quite sure how you reconcile "as simple as possible" with that Kellingsound harness with passive mid sweep and wanting to add a third pickup - along with contemplating a coil split. Seems to me you're already far down the path of pushing the limits of whats doable with passive wiring already...but whatever.

Luck! :thumbsup:

JIO likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You should find a Roscoe Beck Signature Fender to noodle around with if possible. More tonal options than you can wrap your head around and all passive. Two double jazz humbuckers, master volume and tone, three way selector for neck/both/bridge pickups and a three way series/single/parallel switch for each pickup. I owned one for a while. When I first got the thing I was overwhelmed with options.

Speaking of which, some series/parallel switching to go along with your ideas would open you up to some variety.

bluesdoubler and JIO like this.
  17. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Just wire it like a standard J pickup volume straight to the jack.

18. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    So are you saying bypass the harness altogether? And if so then no tone pot interface - just a straight up-down 1 tone pu? Would my result be the neck-bucker as V only and everything else as it is now w/o change? If so that could work. I'm not sure what the V pots are (tone pot is 500k) so should I go 500k or 250k?

19. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    It would still be effected by the tone pot on full volume, and I think it might be isolated when you turn it down but I'm not sure . It wouldn't really effect anything else other then slightly darker overall from the extra loading. I would use a 500k linear volume.

Jazz Ad likes this.
  20. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Sorry, my bad - I meant to write it has a mid-sweep, not series/parallel. I have a Santellan Sounds passive harness with the series/parallel push-pull and wished I could order another but they are no longer around.