1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 Questions (Epoxy, Squier Finishes, Radius Sanding)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by musicmansf, Mar 27, 2009.

1. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    Going to convert an ole' Squier into a fretless, had a few questions after researching:
    A. With epoxy, do you guys just do the fretboard, or can you do the whole neck? Or does an epoxy neck grip a lot when sweaty?
    B. Got a radius sanding block, do you go up/down the neck sanding, or kinda rotate with the radius in one spot?
    and C. Imagine the rubbery, horribly, painted Squier finish. Is it worth stripping and staining? It just looks so $@%@#...

2. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Use the sanding block longitudinally - long strokes up/down the neck. Slack the truss rod, use even pressure along the whole stroke. An ideal fretless FB is dead flat - use a straight edge to ensure a straight surface lengthwise. If you sand poorly you will create an uneven FB.
    As for finishing the whole neck in epoxy I say NO, I did it and didn't like the sound or feel so I stripped it. To me fretless means the sound of wood - I prefer a tung oil finish on the rest of the neck - feels great too.