3 Questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheChariot, Jul 13, 2004.

1. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    A Few questions... mostly related to cable connections.

1) I'm well aware that the wiring of a speakon cable has to be different for stereo and bridged connections... but how are you able to tell how it is currently wired? Also... what are the dangers of having one not properly wired? I'm assuming that you'll simply get no sound.... but.. I dont really know. I ask, because I recently got a pair of 5' Speakons on eBay. I plan on using them in stereo with a QSC1450 @ 4ohms. While both cables were new and sealed in a plastic package... they didnt come with any sort of factory wrapping or instructions to inform me of how it came wired. Also... I realize speakons give a greater connection and provide better sound... but do they reduce the risk of blowing a piece of equipment, like a speaker?

2) I'm going to be connecting the preamp of my B2R head out into a QSC1450 when I get one.... what kind of cable should I use? I looked over a B4R instruction manual once, and it indicated on one example page to use a shielded cable to connect the "biamp low" input into an input for Channel A. With that in mind, I would assume that an instrument cable would work for that... but I'm not too sure of my options. And since there's a large number of people that use power amps, I'm suuuure a bunch of you can answer that question. :smug:

3) I'm gonna be putting 450W into a BXT115. 300RMS - 600Program. That speaker should fair well, shouldnt it? I mean... I know its gotta be a bit risky to surpass the RMS wattage by 50%... but then again, some people have told me that putting 500W into the 115 wont destroy it, with care... and 450W is giving it even more leway. But.. whatever. Basically, I'm just looking for some sort of risk assessment, if someone can help me out.

Thanks for fielding these questions, in advace to those to reply! :D

2. 1) Don't know much about this but I bet the speakons are wired for stereo operation unless otherwise noted.

2) I used to run an Ampeg B2r into a QSC USA900 by connecting the preamp out of the B2r to CH1 input on the QSC with an instrument cable. I then set the switches to parallel mode so I got the same signal to both channels.
    You could also use the DI out of the B2r to CH1 input on the QSC with an XLR cable. I don't know if one way is better but it gives you options.

3) From my experience keeping an amp from clipping is more important than mismatching power handling of a cab and output of an amp. With that in mind your cab will easily handle the 450watts and then some as long as you dont clip all the time. It would be far worse for your speakers to be connected to a 200watt amp that you had to run into clipping just to be heard.
    Others seem to agree with this idea so you will probably see others suggest that you could run 900w into this cab.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well, that pretty much covers it. lol... thanks a lot! Cant wait to (temporarily) fully construct my rig soon!
  4. I forgot to mention that I've gigged with 450 watts of power into a 200watt rms cab with no ill effects.