Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 screws enough to hold ABM bridge in place?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Clorenzo, Oct 26, 2005.

1. I've just bought this ABM bridge to replace the original flimsy one in my MIK Tobias Deluxe 5:

[​IMG]

It looks very solid and well built but I'm worried that just 3 fixing screws may not be enough to keep it in place securely. What do you guys think? I'm tempted to drill a couple more holes in the 2nd and 4th string positions just to be sure, or at least to use bigger / longer screws. I know there are other 5-string bridges out there with only 3 fixing screws (like the Schaller 496) but most have 5. Besides the reason I'm upgrading is that the old bridge was bent upwards at the rear due to the string tension, which means that it's not exactly negligible. OTOH the body is maple so maybe in a softer wood it would be a problem but not in my case.

So, what would you guys do: leave it as it is, bigger / longer screws, new holes?

2. My advice.. Leave it the way it is.
    My bass bridge only has 3 screws, and it's not gonna budge. It might be different if the pull on the bridge was straight up from the body, but it's horizontal.
    Plus, drilling those new holes might actually weaken the bridge base.

Mag...

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

The definitive answer lies with the fact that if ABM made it that way, they had confidence that 3 screws were enough. I had the same misgivings last year when putting a Schaller on my girlfriends Yamaha, but if you stop and think about it, you're not so much relying on the pull out strength of the screws from the wood as you are on the shear strength of the screws themselves and that's a lot!

Put your new bridge on, tune it up and call it a day! :)

4. Thanks a bunch guys. I guess the fact that the old bridge had six (!) screws made me a bit paranoid about using only three on the ABM, but they must know what they are doing. Besides this:
    is a very good point I should have thought about, because that's very likely one of the reasons, apart from being made of butter, the old bridge bent (the "bending line" is precisely along the six screw holes).