Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 soul/funk Recordings, please review.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by zac2944, Jun 27, 2005.

1. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I would love to hear some feedback on my band's recordings. I'm not quite sure how to post direct links to the files, but the three tunes can be heard here:

http://www.gravitymusicinfo.com/listen.html

My bass playing is pretty conservative, but that's the gig. On the first two tunes (MFTGF and Red Baron) I'm playing a Ken Smith BSRMW5 and on the last tune (Buster Brown) I'm playing a Carvin LB76. All bass went direct to ProTools, with minor EQ'ing in ProTools. Any comments would be great, and the more criticle the better.

Thanks.

2. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    bump

3. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    nothing? no takers? damn.

4. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    one last good morning bump.

5. I just checked out your version of "Red Baron". I liked the way that your band played the melody and I also thought that the bass and drums sounded good together. The Rhodes sounded good too, but I didn't like part where it was panned on the right and then to the left almost like there were two keyboard players trading solos. I'm not crazy about that phaser effect on the guitar personally, but I know a lot of people get into that sound. The guitar solo could use some direction as well. I know I might sound a little critical, but overall I think you did a great job of playing the head of the tune and capturing the feel of the tune. I'll check out the other tunes later. Good luck!

6. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the critical review. I agree about the guitar solo. We did it live; no second chances.

7. Ah...live recording. I checked out most of the other two tunes on your site. The guitar parts sound much better and the overall presentation of the tune seems to come off better. Sounds like your group is on the right track. Is your keyboard player using a Korg CX-3 for his B3 parts? Also, what did he use for the Rhodes?

8. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Good guess, it is a cx-3. It is recorded in stereo going direct. The rhodes is real, a late 70's stage model, 73 key, which went into a roland keyboard amp then mic'd.

Thanks for listening.

9. I actually own a Korg CX-3, so that's how I recognized it. If your keyboard player is into VSTs, he may want to check out Precisionsound's Dusty MkII. (http://www.store.precisionsound.net/dustyinfo.php). It is a ridiculous bargain in my opinion. Oops, I have hijacked your thread. Good luck again with your band.

10. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    What is a VST?

11. I listened to Red Baron, since I'm familiar with it. The band overall is pretty solid. On the unison lines, the drummer might be a little unsure of where the accents are. My main criticism is that not much happens. You all play well, and hold the groove, and then a few minutes later, it's over. Somewhere in the middle, it should get exciting!

12. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, I know what you mean. We don't really build intensity, and the solos are just ok.

You should check out the other tunes. I think the're much better.

Thanks for you comments.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sounds good man. I dig the relaxed feel. Good tones on everything, well mixed, especially for a live recording.

14. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks.

I was going for a real thick and fat tone on the bass, trying to make room for the rest of the band while still holding it down and supporting the solos.