1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

3 steps to making your new cab sound amazing!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rizillin, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    12 hour burn in/frequency test for new bass cab!

I recently got a new Fender rumble 500 combo, despite 25yrs of thump'n, it's the first new cab I've ever bought. I have always purchased used gear. *My standard gigging rig is a 1998 David Eden WT-400 with Ashdown 210 and Ashdown 410 cabs.

That being said, right out of the box I could hear the "newness" and strained tightness and fartiness of the speakers so I did a 12 hour burn in/frequency test and it's the best decision I could have made to get the speakers sounding great and ready for gigging with minimal effort.

I burned in the speakers for 12 hours: 4 hours a night for 3 nights in a row and let me tell you...it sounds like a totally different combo and the tone and speaker response now is night/day difference and totally amazing. Here is what I did:

1) Four hours of this video, SAFE volume level:
    2) Four hours of this video, SAFE volume level:
    3) Then I used a looper for four hours. I recorded finger style (which I play 99% of the time), a lil pick and some slap, turned the volume all the way down, turned gain, drive and every EQ knob to full, then slowly added enough volume to make it as loud as it could SAFELY handle (rattling every loose item in my entire house and knocking pix of the walls...haha).

***CAUTION: Do NOT leave your speakers unattended, monitor very very closely and use some common sense...the intent it to safely wear in your speakers, not to blow them!***

The next night I ran the looper again and adjusted everything to find the tone I like (only took me about 20 min) and vwala...it was like majic. What a difference it made!

I still can't believe how good this damn beast of a combo sounds by itself let alone with an ext cab. I'm still reluctant to say it, but I am a "combo convert" now. Thanks Fender!

The time and effort was, without a doubt, 100% worth it. It is something I will always recommend to everyone now. I will probably do it all over again one more time for good measure.

Keep thump'n. Peace, Rizillin \m/
    20190315_220257.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    Interesting. I have a pair of new Rumble cabs coming today. Might have to give this a try!

BBassBassington and Rizillin like this.
  3. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    @DoctorZee it's a must! You'll be glad you did. Mine still need some more burn time, but I'll get that in practicing and gigging.

oaklandthumb likes this.
  4. I did this same type of thing on a new Eden rig: Promptly tore the cone surround, and Eden did not cover speakers under warranty.

Be careful . . . . . and read your warranty provisions.

5. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    Yes. You must be careful! Cannot leave unattended.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Don't do it, that's a good way so ruin a perfectly good speaker and void your warranty at the same time.

IMO this is about the dumbest thing I have read on the internet in a while (unless it's a joke).

7. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    Nope. Not a joke. It's a tried and tested and proven way to break in speakers and should always be done before trying to push them too hard too soon, which many poeple do and why they experience problems later. And it's not like it's an original idea of mine either. People have been doing it with tremendous success for a very long time, including with studio equipment, IEMs etc. It has to be done smartly though and with the correct frequency ranges. Thus, it's been done with tremendous failure too if you don't know what you're doing just like pushing speakers too hard playing live and/or using effects with the wrong settings can be an epic fail.

Garret Graves and FingerDub like this.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If you strain the spider and surround beyond what they were designed to do by pushing it beyond its limits, the cone will become a floppy mess. There still needs to be a certain amount of springiness and support to the components. Some folks like BFM advocate for driver burn-in under controlled conditions. For example, an Eminence 3012LF hung in free air with a 30Hz sine wave at 15 volts for 24 hours, or something like that. But again, it’s a controlled burn-in, and different drivers would have different requirements.

If you don’t know what you’re doing, break-in your cab by simply using it.

Kinky Afro, madjazzbass and Rizillin like this.
  9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    For the most part, and this is from the perspective of an engineer and speaker designer who has also designed and analyzed drivers in agonizing detail for many years, this is a load of hooey that is based on a tiny bit of fact but taken to the most absurd of extremes.

The common definition of a speaker that has sustained unacceptable damage is a shift in Fs downward of more than 10%. This is barely audible within a cabinet but is the primary indicator that there is enough damage within the spider's structural fibers that permanent damage has occurred.

If you are hearing a "big" difference, almost certainly irreversible damage to your speaker has occurred. The speaker's elastic components behave like a spring. A spring, when operated within it's linear limits will last for decades, just like a speaker. When a spring is operated outside its elastic limits, the materials will fatigue, just like a speaker, and ultimately fail prematurely.

Where the tiny bit of fact comes in, is that there will be a very slight loosening of some of the adhesive components surrounding the fibers of the spider (and to a much lesser extent the surround)and this will cause a very small decrease in Fs (typically a few percent in a modern quality speaker), but in general this is of no practical consequence. This will occur naturally while playing, and while it might be perceived as a big difference, it's much more likely that the difference is just a shift in perception that comes from playing for a while.

lomo, Ian Lewis, stigbeve and 90 others like this.
  10. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    I would like to think that I would purchase a new cab BECAUSE it sounds amazing. That was the case with my Subway cabs at least.

lomo, Munjibunga, zenandzen and 22 others like this.
  11. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Manufacturers will have some kind of burn in on their production line so I don't think users should have to do this.

JohnN, zenandzen and madjazzbass like this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I break my speakers in by playing bass guitar through them. You should try it!

13. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Oh, I do. Trust me!

14. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    True. And like fine wine...

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I would hope so, and encourage players/customers not to try this ;)

Eckie, JohnN, Kokoman and 12 others like this.
  16. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    There are no driver manufacturers who break-in their drivers before shipping. No large scale MI or audio companies either.

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Agreed, there are burn-in procedures that are used to test for mechanical defects and there are elapsed power testing where the TS parameters are analyzed pre and post testing to verify no material changes at the approximate rated power, many companies do this in one way or another.

18. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I’m waiting for the car analogy, break-in oil for the first 3000 mi, never rev above 2000rpm, etc...:roflmao:

19. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I really thought this was a joke.

20. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    I think I have heard everything now.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021