3 string bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tecx, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok, I just bought an awsome 1980 ibanez p bass (gibson axe style body) and I turned my washburn into a 3 string. I removed the low e string and all its hardware, and moved all the strings up a notch... Any sugestions, comments, or ramblings.... Also I am entertaining putting another high string on the bottem.

p.s. I did this to be a pure chording bass...
  2. Sounds something like a "tenor" bass guitar to me. What are you going to use in the high spot - a C?

Also, it would be cool to have the neck narrowed to significantly close up some of the space between the strings - for chording.
  3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sounds like a fun idea.

I would suggest that you go ahead with the other string. The neck will eventually develop a twist with it strung with only three strings.

4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    did you remove the saddle and the nut too??

Sounds like you got a 4 string bass thats missing a string..

why don't you string it adcf or something?
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how about adgc? ;)
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Naw.. ADCF would be a very interesting choice. :D

Conceptually, as far as patten based playing goes, it would be like having a pair of two string basses side by side. However, it would also allow wider chord voicings without having to get an extra string. I've experimented with a similar idea in the past (can't remember the tuning - I think it might have been DGGB with an octave between the middle two strings).

Such tunings would be fun for creating new music, although somewhat more of a challenge if trying to replicate basslines from existing tracks :cool:

If working with a four string bass, it would certainly be worth using the option of all four strings. Another tuning idea would be ADGG, with two identical G strings next to each other, opening up lots of possibilities for lines involving doubling or a G drone.