Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 String Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Jun 3, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I've heard of a 3 String Bass but I dunno what brand makes them. Can anyone tell me? and is there a 2 string bass?!?!? I doubt that one but I've heard of a 3 string somewhere. I wonder what the tuning is [​IMG]

2. my best guess is that its tuned in 5ths. i know, and have seen 5 string guitars strung in 5ths. so the bass is probly in fifths

3. There's a Danish band called D.A.D. (check them out!), who's bassplayer plays a 2-string bass, but it's made buy some bassbuilder in Denmark especially for him, so I guess you'll never see one.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Give the Tony Levin site a shot.Hes played several basses with less than 4 strings.Even a 1 string i think!Good luck!

5. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I'm fairly certain Tony Levin's 3-string was made for him by Ernie Ball and was basically a Sting Ray without (here I'm NOT certain) the G-string. Apparently, this bass was destroyed in a fire, and there are plans to have EB replace it.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There's a japanese company calles Atlansia that makes one-string bass instruments. You can even get it as a frettted/fretless doubleneck. 2 necks, 2 strings, for the miinimalistic bassist.

Will c. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    You know the russian instrument Balalaika? Well I saw a balalaika bass yesterday! It had three strings and A HUGE TRIANGULAR BODY. It was roughly six feet high and four feet long. And with a huge neck that has to make hands hurt. I'd say it had something like 45" scale. There was a big man playing it and he seemed very small standing next to the bass. Eventhough upright basses may actually be a bit bigger, the body on this baby was so damn big that when the lowest corner touched the ground only the players head could be seen when he was standing behind it.

I wan't one of those!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    [​IMG]

check that out. it's a one string bass made by ritter guitars, a german company.

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Thanks all!! if anyone can find me a 2 or 3 string bass, pleas tell me [​IMG] that 1 string picture looks funny as hell!!! isit only using the E string? [​IMG]

10. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Yeah, man, the Balalaika Double Bass! I happened to play 4 concerts with this Russian trio called Moscow Nights a couple of weeks ago. Their bassist was out of town and they asked me to help out. What an instrument! It is made kind of crudely (maybe not all of them), very high action and frets, very hard to play, harder than an upright bass(!) (true CTS machine), but the sound is SWEET! Its scale is a bit longer than a string bass (upright) so the upright strings barely fit (they just use the 3 strings of the 4-set, the low E's fabric is on the first fret, though). To see a picture of that bass go here:
    http://www.russianfolk.com/MN.htm

I know, it's not exactly a bass guitar, but it's fretted and it's a bass [​IMG] It's played with a self-made leather pick. And intonation setting is not a problem - the wooden bridge is just held by friction, so just move it back and forth to adjust (just like all of the 6 balalaikas [​IMG]

P.S. it's tuned in 4ths - E-A-D (low to high). I can't imagine playing a bass tuned in 5ths!

[This message has been edited by Gear_Junky (edited July 11, 2000).]

11. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    my russian teacher in brought a balalika about the size of a uke what cool instrument to play as for basses with less than 4 strings there not cheaper so dont mess with it

------------------
    save the trees ban john turner conklins

[This message has been edited by ross (edited July 11, 2000).]

12. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    peacefully rest the funky soul of Mark Sandman, Morphine's frontman and player of a two-string bass.

13. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gustat:
    peacefully rest the funky soul of Mark Sandman, Morphine's frontman and player of a two-string bass.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He DIED?? When? How? [​IMG]

14. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingray5:
    He DIED?? When? How? [​IMG]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think it was late last year, he had a heart attack on-stage in Rome.

15. [/b][/QUOTE]
    I think it was late last year, he had a heart attack on-stage in Rome.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh man. What a way to go. Thanks Dave. [​IMG]

16. bsfwash

bsfwash

May 7, 2000
    i'm sorry but if i buy a 1string bass it better only cost about 50 bucks. you can call me old fashioned or uncreative or whatever but if i'm gonna pay 400+ i'd better get at least 4 strings!! [​IMG]

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think people are skirting around the issue here and trying to be polite, but I can sense this undercurrent, where people want to say "What's the point?" What do you hope to get or expect that will be different about a 3-string bass?

As the majority of factories are geared up to make 4-strings and we know they work, why not stick with this and just play 3 strings, avoiding one of them at all time? Or - even more radical, stick with a 4-string, but take one string off!

The consensus is to leave the G string off and play with EAD - problems solved. So what else would having a 3-string do for you? Or is it just about being different and having a gimmick, rather than any valid musical reason?

18. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carl-anton:
    There's a Danish band called D.A.D. (check them out!), who's bassplayer plays a 2-string bass, but it's made buy some bassbuilder in Denmark especially for him, so I guess you'll never see one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're kidding right? i thought these guys were a joke. [​IMG]

------------------
    Sean

My website

My eBay stuff

CDs and Concert shirts for sale

19. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I sort of agree - there's no sense of having a bass guitar with less than 4 strings. The balalaikas are historically 3-string, so they're gonna stay that way. But I wanna say, having played one - it forces you to move your hand and to think "wider". And wider is not better in this case [​IMG] After all the upright bass is historically 4-string and it's been around a little longer than the balalaika and some crazy dudes (I think Bach might be one of them) even tried adding more strings to it. Adding strings makes sense, though, but subtracting really doesn't. Of course - great minds think for themselves [​IMG] Let's not fight over this :d)

): Peace (that's supposed to be a bass clef, not a sad face [​IMG]

20. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Who had that 3 String Bass made by Musicman?? Like you konw how Musicman Basses are like 3 machineheads on one side and 1 on the other side? (4 string at least).. and they took out the G-string Machinehead.. I like those [​IMG]