Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 strings on a narrow 5?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pklima, Apr 30, 2005.

1. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I've got one of those Galveston doubleneck basses. The necks have the same width and profile which wouldn't be a bad idea as it makes switching to the fretless neck without playing out of tune easier. However, for this to really work would have to be a lot bigger. The 4-string neck is OK but the 5 is way too narrow. Not entirely useless but feels like a guitar. There is no doubt in my mind that more space would be a good thing.

So I'm thinking of restringing the 5-string neck with three strings tuned either BEA or EAD. I know 3-string basses exist but they usually have very narrow necks. So my question is has anybody done this kind of thing on a 5-string? How did it work out in the long term? What tuning did you settle on?

I wouldn't really be giving up the high notes. This bass has 27 frets and I tune the 4-string neck CGDA (an octave below cello) which gives me an entire four octaves. I'll also get another bass with two fat 4-string necks. And I play DB most of the time anyhow...