1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 strings problem move everything 5 frets

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fooz, Jul 29, 2007.

1. fooz

fooz

Jun 26, 2007
    Hi again everybody :) I was kinda having a problem the other day (yesterday actually). i was playing live, we where playing cant stop & i was kinda in the solo part, but i got excited i "popt" the D string really hard, & it broke.

Ok the thing is that i dident brought my extra set string, & it was the first song we played & i had to play like 5 or 6 song more with 3 strings.
    A guitarist from there told me that i had the same notes in the other strings..
    Well i already knew that..its only 5 frets of distance, but it was kinda hard cause i had to count 5 frets every time i had to do a note on the D string, but i dont want that,
    I want to know which fret i have to press to make the same note. i dont know how ppl can do it without even counting the frets.

The other problem i have (maybe the same, or similar) is, everywhere i read it says things like "whole step-half step..." you know.. example: the C Major scale..
    i dont know how many steps they are but i know its like in the same shape:

G-----------------2-4-5-
    D--------2-3-5----------
    A--3-5------------------
    E-------------------------

I mean, i always seen its like a shape, & not by a formula, cause i dont understand it..

Could somebody help me out with this.. u know advises & excersises that could rly help me out.. thx :)

2. you just need to become more familiar with the fretboard. say the notes of the scale as you practice, or just randomly pick frets and figure out the note that your finger lands on. anything to help you get familiar with the board.

once you know where the notes are, you will be able to switch to a different position on the fretboard, and continue playing that same pattern that you recognized as the major scale.