Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 SVTs on Ebay...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

One is going in 7 hours... It sounds like a good one.
    They're not that rare.

2. But there might be somethin' fishy going on with these particular ones....The seller of the one about to end in a few hours is also bidding on one of the other two. Help me out here. If someone has an old (rare or not) SVT to sell, why would they be looking to buy (replace?) another one??.:confused: Usually this implies a defect or problem (maybe hidden). What do you think?

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yeah, I'd say he's trying to unload a bum one. Even still, SVT's aren't 'that' hard to fix. Like mine for example: it never in my 5 years of ownership sounded *right*, but after finding a tech who REALLY knew what he was doing, it sounds 100% awesome now. These are very complicated amps, and it only takes 1 cap to go bad or 1 resistor to drift far enough off to make them sound like crap.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I didn't notice that.

I find it hard to believe that they vary too much... tonally.

One could ask the seller why he is bidding elsewhere.

Maybe he's a tube head and digs fixin' em up.

You are talkin' bout a 65 Buick here!

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    In my experience, they vary tons. My SVT's channel 1 was so bassy and muddy sounding, it was pretty much unusable. Any SVT needs a recap and *every* component in the amp should be checked due to age. Caps dry out and resistors drift. Unfortunately, most guys either never have them gone through, or when the amp does go to a tech, they just stick new tubes in and bias 'em up.

Being in a heavy dirt rock band and going to shows all the time, I get the chance to hear vintage SVT's *a lot*. Most of them don't sound anywhere as good as mine. I'm not bragging, and it's not that mine's any better, it's just that mine was gone through and done right. I've still got the big old ziplock full of parts that my tech changed. I still wanna hear Psycho's KT90-equipped monster, though. :D

6. All three of the aforementioned auctions were quenched early. The usual shenanigans I'm sure. I mean, hell, bid rigging. OK, fine go ahead, bid rig. Jack up the price to get what you want. Or whatever. But at least complete a deal. RockBobby is right about SVTs not being rare. But, unfortunately, "to be had" (my words) and "taking one home" (again, my words) are two different things. IME, If you see one you like you best have a name, an address, your wallet, and your engine running ASAP. It's like staking a claim during the gold rush. But it's worth it. Read my next post.