1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 Technique issues

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jonnyh, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Hey guys this is my first post ever wooo

Ok so I have been playing for a few months now and things are coming along nicely. However there are three main issues that I am worried about – I will do them in what I think is the biggest priority.

1. Fingers flying of fretboard especially pinky – self explanatory just wondering whether it’s just about slowing it down extremely and just willing your finger closer or are there certain exercises that can aid training my fingers to be closer.

Also say for example I have just played an Asharp on my G string in blues in the key of G. When I head back down to the G for the beginning, I find that sometimes I fret it too hard and I’m pretty sure this has to do with my finger not being close to the fretboard because it has more distance to gain momentum and so makes this crappy buzzing sound.

2.Digging in – I find a lot of them time I unconsciously begin to play more heavily and it slows my hands down as a result - especially in the lower frets. I have trouble separating the intenseness of each of my hands from being at the same level so it gets annoying in loud parts of songs to adjust and suddenly I am fretting harder as well. Is this about just practicing lightly and eventually the practice just takes over?

3. Right hand plucking – My alternation is pretty good but sometimes I catch myself using the wrong finger when jumping strings, is there a way I can rectify this? Or should I just roll with it

Also would like to know more about neck relief and how it affects the bass? Could me getting flatwounds a while back change things?

Fender Jazz with heavy gauge fender flatwounds
    Standard action

Thank You

Jon

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It will all get better with time if you keep practicing slowly with a metronome in a relaxed manner. For setup and string issues, search on dedicated forums.

3. thanks mate

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree with allexcosta, you just need time and practice.

And especially with #3, concentrate on getting it right. But at a gig, never worry about it. At gigs use whatever gets the job done.... hopefully from all the practice you will do the right thing.

If the heavy flats get you the sound you want, then work with them. Take a look at how DB players have to dig in to get a sound.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. Doing exercises like 1-2-4-3, 1-3-2-4, etc. going up and down the strings and up a fret each time will help, but only if you concentrate on economy of motion. There are a lot of other exercises you can do...check the exercise sticky

2. Digging in isn't bad, but if it slows you down, just lighten up and play closer to the bridge

3. Strict alternation will clear that up