3 volume knobs??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tuBass, Mar 3, 2003.

1. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    OK, i'm about to replace my active pre-amp and pickups in my yamaha with a pair of EMG 45DC pickups and a tone knob. I want two volume controls instead of a blend, but the advantage of a single volume is the ability to turn up or down the bass with one turn.
    Is it unheard of to have 3 volume knobs, one master knob, and two knobs that individually control each pick up? I can see several advantages to this, and very few disadvantages. I already have 4 knobs on my bass, so the new setup would be
    Master volume
    neck volume
    bridge volume

any comments?
  2. Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    ya know? that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
  3. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    had one person on chat describe my plan as overkill, which I understand, so maybe I should explain why I would like one volume knob and not two. When I play at church, We do a song, and then rest, and then we do another song, and then rest, and then we do three more songs, and then rest, and then a couple more, and then there is the message, and we go back out chairs, and then we come up after the message, I pick up my bass, and then we play another song, and then rest again. depending on communion, announcements, and baptisms, I might have 8-10 times during a service that I turn down so I don't accidently hit a string or make noise during a prayer or other quiet time.

so, can anybody help me with a wiring diagram or tips? Or at least an explanation or why this is a terrible idea?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It would not be difficult at all to do with a jazz bass, duel-single coil set up.

But it doesn't make much sense to me. In reality, a blend pot is nothing but two (concentric) volume knobs.

The extra hastle of the 3-volume setup is giving you nothing tonally.

If you simply prefer the 2-volume rig but want a master, get a volume pedal. They are pretty handy to have around anyway.