1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 WAY CABINET BUILD PLANS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pat McDaniel, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Pat McDaniel

Pat McDaniel Commercial User

Oct 5, 2016
    Owner, Professional Bass Works
    Hey guys. Looking for some great 1x12/6/1 build plans. I have checked out the greenboy fearful design. Any other ideas that are tried and true? Something tight, punchy, articulates well..

2. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Have you looked into the Bill Fitzmaurice stuff? Speaker hardware has flat packs and such for both his and the fEARful cabs. I just looked and Bill's stuff is two-way

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  3. Pat McDaniel

Oct 5, 2016
    I have checked them out. I am having trouble just pulling some of his plans. Any ideas on just the plans?

4. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Ordering

5. Pat McDaniel

Oct 5, 2016
    I didnt see any 3 way designs utilizing a 12/6/1, small cabinet. Did I just miss it?

6. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    The Omni 12 and Omni 12 Tallboy are 3 way, fully horn loaded, so they have higher sensitivity than fearfulls etc. It's not a compact cab, if it was it would give up a lot of low end. Hoffman's Iron Law isn't subject to negotiation. :)

7. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I edited my OP to reflect the fact that most of his designs are two-way. Sorry if I steered the conversation the wrong way

8. Pat McDaniel

Oct 5, 2016
    I did see that. Being Bill designed it. Im sure it sounds great. Would like something a little more with a contemporary design. Are we saying the greenboy doesnt sound good??

9. If anything, I would say greenboy's fEARful designs are more plug and play than BRM's horn loaded stuff.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  10. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Just trying to offer up alternatives. i own Greenboy stuff and love it. Fearless and Barefaced for me.

11. Pat McDaniel

Oct 5, 2016
    Great, I appreciate the input..

12. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Contemporary? All of Bill's designs are cutting edge, even the ones that are fifteen years old, because back then they were twenty years ahead of their time.
    My Omni 15 plugs and plays just fine with my Eden 550. This bassist for The Animals doesn't have any problem with his either.
    First Omni 15 Full Range build... - Page 4 - BillFitzmaurice.info

I've played through fearfuls, and just about everything else, nothing beats the Omni, and not much comes close to it. I mostly use my Jack 12, because it's easier to haul and I seldom need more than it can deliver. But I really like taking the big boy out on gigs when I need it.

If you're not into the industrial look just put a full grille cloth on it and you can't tell it visually from any other cab.

Snaxster likes this.
  13. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I have the fEARful 12/6 and 15/6 cabs, as well as a pair of Jack15s w/ full melded arrays. While neither fits the bill for what you want, the designs (and designers) are way ahead of the game. I think a 12/6/1 would cover your needs well, mine sees about 90% of the action.

Good luck

14. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Perhaps a 12/8

15. Pat McDaniel

Oct 5, 2016
    I appreciate the responses. I am embarking on a project, that will be a long road, I'm sure.

16. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    fearless,fearfull, whats the difference?

17. kekani

kekani

May 13, 2015
    Kapolei
    The road is only as long as you make it. Flat pack from Speaker Hardware, glue, screw, finish, play. Repeat.

Looking at your original post, you want tight, punchy and articulate, but "limit" yourself to a DIY 12/6/1, that are tried and true, thereby limiting even further.

I think if you started with your tonal goals as the query, you may have different responses, i.e.:
    I'm looking for DIY plans for a bass cab that will be tight, punchy and articulate. I'm going to use it for my (insert band) I'll need (insert volume) volume on stage. I'm currently have a (insert amp) that I plan on running. Any tried and true plans that fit the bill?

I'm sure fEARfuls would come into play, but you may have gotten more as well.

18. Pat McDaniel

Oct 5, 2016
    The idea is, something small, portable, punchy, tight, focused. Something a solo bassist can use for small gigs, that will articulate well. Also, something that will eventually be marketable. With alot of luck, sweat, and blending of many ideas. That is why I dont want a prepack, or lift someones design. A melting cabinet, so to speak.

19. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I'm confused.

It sounds like you want a design that is "tried and true" that you can turn into a "marketable" product, but that no one else is offering as a prepack, and that isn't "someone's design". It is hard for me to imagine something that is "tried and true" yet not "someone's design." Did I miss something?

BadExample, will33, Giraffe and 4 others like this.
  20. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I built an bfm omni 15 awile ago. I agree it is insanely loud, especually with 700-800 watts going to one (had a carvin b1500@ the time). But its not a paticularly easy cab to build. The fearfuls are much easier to construct. I have 2 fearful 12/6s now and will never look back. The two weigh about as much as the omni 15, but are much much easier to carry and transport.