1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3-Way pickup selector + series/parallel push/pull

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thingsis, Nov 8, 2015.

1. thingsis

thingsis

Feb 6, 2012
    Hi,

I currently have the following setup: Two 4-conductor pickups. Neck PU is wired in series, bridge goes into push/pull and can be either series or parallel. They then go into a 3-way Tele switch, volume and tone.
    Now I am thinking of using the push/pull for putting both pickups in series or parallel, while individually always being wired in series. I want to keep using my 3 way switch. Is this possible? Maybe by bypassing the 3-way switch in one of the settings? Does anybody happen to have a diagram?

Thanks so much!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Teleswitches are usually 1pdt. You need a 2pdt to achieve a parallel/series switch, 3pdt if you have a bal-vol setup.
    Diagrams are everywhere on google.

3. thingsis

thingsis

Feb 6, 2012
    Maybe my first post wasn't 100% clear. I want the push/pull DPDT to do the switching, while retaining the Teleswitch for basic pickup switching. So while the Teleswitch is on both pickups the push/pull switches between series/parallel. OR: When in series it bypasses the Tele switch, when in parallel it works normally (beck, both parallel, bridge)

4. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
  5. thingsis

thingsis

Feb 6, 2012
    Cool, thanks. That seems to be what I was looking for! Thanks Garun!

6. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    I wanted to do that on my J bass, but then I made it V V T + Series/Parallel + Switch
    On series, only one volume and tone works and switch is out, so I just have V T, and on parallel everything like normal J bass, but know this
    If you put switch like this, you're making NO LOAD on one pickup, which has a bit more on high end than when you have two volumes.
    But as far as I'm concerned, I have with and without load pickups.
    But this will do the work just fine and it's simple. I can send you other schematic if you want

7. How did you wire that? Series/parallel switching does not normally remove the second volume pot. It would take a third pole of switching, to do that.

8. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    01.jpg
    Like this. Just the pots go on mass, but i removed all wires that connect the ground except ones that are here, because I'm using shielding as mass.
    Tell me what you think line6man :)

9. You still have the load of both pots in the circuit. (Which I believe is what you were talking about. I'm not sure.)

If the second switch is supposed to be a pickup selector, then you are doing it wrong. You should be switching the hots from the pickups, not one pickup's hot and the other pickup's ground. When you try to turn a pickup off by just disconnecting its ground, the hot still connects to the signal path. The result of this is that the pickup coil becomes a giant antenna for hum, since there is no reference to ground.

10. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    Hmm, I still didn't test it on gigs, but at home it works fine.
    So I need another aproach to this to get VVT with functions I want.
    1. to have just VT on series without pickup selector
    2. to have VVT and pickup selector on passive
    But this can not be done like on this circuit, I will get out of phase on series, right? Could you post any schematic that would do as I wrote? If I pass on the first schematic I sent (which you sent to me a month or two ago), I will still have to use the switch to choose on which pot will volume be in series