Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 way signal splitter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Feb 14, 2006.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I'm wondering what options I have for a signal splitter that can go 3 ways, one to a tuner, one for clean bass, going straight to an eq (thinking a behringer acoustic di) adn then into my leem DI box, and a 3rd output to go to my od/wah and maybe reverb that will then meet up into the di (or should I make it go through an eq aswell?).

So basically MY signal chain would be like this:

Bass>Splitter>Acoustic DI (used as EQ)
    > OD/Distortion> Wah(maybe >reverb)> DI
    > Tuner

What are my options, for a splitter? I am aware of a Morely Lynch Tripler, but that is about it.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only off-the-shelf units I know of are the Rane SM6 and the DOD SM606 (a blatant copy of the Rane unit). They are rack-mount splitter-mixers, ideally suited to splitting a signal into multiple channels, and then mixing them back together.

I'm not aware of any in pedal format in regular production, but I'm sure you could get any of the DIY guys that make A/B boxes and feedback loopers to make you something like this in a pedal.

Another option would be a preamp pedal which features a tuner out, an fx loop, and a DI out. Or you could send its master output to your preferred DI. I have one with those features (Crews Maniac Sound, a fairly obscure brand from Japan). But I'm sure there are others, easier to find.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    dont know that DI, but if it has a parallel output, you can use 1 for the tuner, and then usa a BOSS LS-2 for all the other routing fun.

4. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    what is the benefit of spiltting your signal with a rackmount and then bringin it back into one?

Like a realtime example what would it gain then just using an effects loop?

5. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    One option - Dod 240 Mini Mixer (What is good about this one, it has volume for each output)
    Or Electro Harmonix Junction 5X Mixer, if you can find one.
    I think ART has smth like that also.
    Another option ABY with Tuner Mute from Loooper.com

6. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Sorry bass-drum, don't mean to highjack your thread at all. Hope it's okay.

I just came to think about the idea of splitting my signal. I have two inputs on my amp (Ashdown MAG300H), one for active bass and one for passive.

Will I be able to split my signal by having an ABY loooper where the A loop goes diretcly into the passive input and the B loop with all the effects goes to the active input?

Our rehearsal room is a tad far away for me to go try it out, so just asking here :)

Thanks!

7. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I think you can't plug two basses at the same time to one combo with passive/active inputs. Even if you can, why you want to plug one bass in two inputs?

8. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    A mate of mine and I tried to do that (he plays an active and I'm playing a passive) and it worked just fine :D

Why I want to do that? well, to have a mix of clean tone and effects :)?

9. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    My opinion it's better to mix channels into one before amp. Or, better get Boss Ls-2 line selector. With it you can make 2 loopes and mix them together. You can put your effects in one loop and your second loop will be your clean tone. Is it what you want?

10. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Oh I've misunderstood the idea of the LS-2 pedal then, thought it was a regular A/B box.

Ah well, yea - that's exactly what I want :) Thanks a bunch!

11. Be aware that amps with two inputs (one for active and one for passive) often have different input impedances and gains for each input.

So, you might find that whatever is plugged into the active input is significantly lower in level than that plugged into the passive input.

12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Lehle 1@3, maybe?

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Close but it can only use one output at a time...

I think I will have to live with a A/B/Y box and Fender or Boss pedal Tuner.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The main thing is with a splitter/mixer you can change the blend of your effects mix on multiple levels (not just wet/dry), and you can opt to mix them all back into one, or tap one of the outputs out to a rackmount tuner for example. And again, with a regular fx loop you are stuck with only one option -wet or dry- and the fx are all processed in series, meaning fx1-> fx2-> fx3-> out, so that by the time your signal gets to fx3 it has necessarily been altered by fx1 and fx2, which might sound muddy or too distorted. With a splitter, you can process them in parallel, like:
    ...............|-> fx1->
    clean signal-> fx2-> |-> blended mono output
    ...............|-> fx3->

...which has its own troubles with possible muddiness or phase cancellation, but at least you have a lot more sound-spectrum options, and can get the most out of each effect.

15. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I think I know exactly what you need:

Axess electronics BS2 3 way buffer/splitter.

Unlike anything from loooper or anything like that, this has a buffer that will maintain your signal strength and split it right the ay you want!

http://www.axess-electronics.com/

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Wow that looks nice...The only thing is I can't switch each "channel" on and off. Oh well I think I will get a Loooper A/B/Y box... What do yuo think I should do:

A. Get the loooper a/b/y box and buy a fender pedal tuner

or

B. Get the loooper a/b/y box with tuner out and use my korg handheld tuner.

17. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    If you want to be able to switch channels (sorry, I missed that part ) I'd reccomend the Framptone Amp Switcher. It's pricey but it has a buffer and won't "chop up" your signal in 2 or 3 when using combined outputs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is only useful when using more than one signal path at the time. If you are planing on using only one at the time, go for the looper as it works great that way.