3 Wishbasses

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by salamandyr, Sep 5, 2010.

1. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    ok - some wild basses - come and gettem :)

the fretted-4 longhorn style one is an early WB (#87). 34" scale.
    price dropped to $325, shipped/paypalled in the continental US.

they all sound really great in spite of perhaps looking a bit monstrous - they really do sound somewhere between an upright bass and an electric jazz bass. the fretted-4 longhorn with truss rod has the passive pickup setup that's more standard on Wishbasses.

no bag or case.

[​IMG]

high-rez pics below.

Click here for more and larger, high-rez pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i've done several deals here, on The Gear Page, ebay, and the Reverend Guitar forum. all with the username "salamandyr", so you can check my reputation.

2. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Say. what are the production numbers of the other two? Very nice, BTY!

3. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    #87 is the fretted-4 "longhorn" one..
    the gorgeous 5er is #415, and the inlaid fretted-4 is 305.
    they are all around 10 lbs, give or take 1/2 a pound.

i've also got #849 - that's a "christmas" ones (left over wood strips) and i'm keeping that one :)

4. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    one sold - the 4 with inlay and lipsticks.

#87 (fretted 4 longhornesqe with truss rod) and #415 (fretless 5 with purple fretboard) are still available.

5. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump. #87 is getting all the interest (the fretted+trussed "longhorn").

it's solid and sounds great, but of course just begs to be refinished. from what i can tell it's not been worked on much at all - by the previous owner who bought it from Wish. e.g. still has the coat overspray, a few fill lines here and there, etc. it's pretty smooth in the body and looks fine, but the neck's finishing is a bit uneven, on the back especially.

the fretboard appears to be rosewood - has that nice wide swirl pattern that rosewood can, with diagonal lines crossing several frets. not sure of the body wood - something relatively hard, although the whole thing is resonant with the neck-thru and wings/horns to vibrate. i'm guessing it's something like cherry or red oak, as it doesn't appear stained but has a reddish glow.

among other things i'd do to it if i was keeping it is sand the back of the neck into a slightly more pleasing shape. sizewize, it's not a huge neck front-to-back (for a wishbass. it's < 1.5" thick until it gets near the body) or even across the fretboard (1.75" at the 0 fret, 2.175 at the 12th fret) and it's nice wood with the stringer stripes. that being said, it's a pretty "round" C shape right now and doesn't appear to have been perfectly smoothed at the apex of the "C" either. i'd prob turn it more into a flattened C with some sandpaper, and get it to flow through the hand a bit better.

maybe even pull out a dremel or carving tools and work something into the wood of the body - there is certainly room!

the other (fretless 5-er) is a refinished and upgraded instrument. looks like the purple heart fretboard has been radiused slightly, the corian bridge has also been shaped, active electronics, body refinish too... i spent half an hour playing the 5er today, got inspired.. might pull it from this for-sale listing if it doesn't go quickly.

6. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    ok - bump for the early 4-string Wishbass (#87), with frets and truss rod!

7. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump and price drop for Wishbass #87 ...

$325 shipped/paypalled, or $275 cash/pickup in Los Angeles.

8. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    I'm putting the refinished, 34" scale 5-string back on the block.

It's Wishbass #405, and has some upgrades from basis WB:

1) EMG pickups with an active pre-amp
    2) Two stacked knobs. first is Vol with lower half of knob unwired, second is stacked B/T tone.
    3) Rear routing, and wood cover that matches the fretboard.
    4) Gorgeous wood selection - not 100% sure what they all are. Appears to be spalted maple body with maple / purpleheart stringers for neck, with purpleheart for the fretboard and control cover on back.
    5) string ferrules and a 5th string :)

It's been refinished (by previous owner). Fretboard has a nice slight radius and a hard clear finish (epoxy?). Body has been sanded and oil-rubbed. Active pickup and preamp, ferrules, etc., all non-typical for Wishbasses, so likely added post-Steve, as well as sme sort of strap/lock setup installed too.

It sound incredible, good refinish job, very playable, good intonation. The nicest WB I've played (out of 6 I've owned).

No bag or case. $550 shipped/paypalled domestic US. $500 cash/pickup in Los Angeles.
    Price firm, no trades except for Reverend USA guitars.

Pictures #11-20, click here for diectory.

There are high-rez pics for this beast at the link above, as well a smaller ones. Check em out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump for two wishbasses.

10. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    deal fell through on fretted-4, so that and the refinished 5 string are both still available!

11. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump for a beautiful 5 and a fretted 4 Wishbass.

12. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    wishbump.

the fretted-four is starting to generate interest again. the refinished fretless 5 would also make someone a GREAT holiday present :)

13. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump for two wishbasses - one fretted 4 ready for refinishing, and one fretless 5 that's already been refinished and upgraded (active pup, back routing, ferrules, radiused fretboard, etc).

14. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    Wissbump. $550 / $325 for a refinished fretless 5 with active electronics, or a yet-to-be-refinished fretted 4.

Take $50 off the price for cash/pickup in Los Angeles.

15. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump for two nice wishbasses.

16. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump and price drop - $300 for the fretted 4 string. $500 for the refinished fretless 5 with active electronics. price includes paypal and shipping within the continental US.

17. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump for two wishbasses.

18. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    bump - price drops.

$250 shipped for unrefinished long horn fretted 5.
    $450 shipped for the refinished fretless 5.

19. RonSound

RonSound Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 24, 2008
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Longhorn fretted 4-string still available?

20. salamandyr

salamandyr

Sep 17, 2007
    It is, indeed!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021