1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 wood challenge - Freshman Effort

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mrz2u, Jun 13, 2012.

1. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    Also my first build....

Neck thru,
    • 34 scale
    • 4 string
    • probably fretted but maybe fretless
    • Maple
    • Bloodwood
    • Wenge

5 piece neck, M/B/W/B/M

Wings will be Bloodwood and book matched for what thats worth

Fingerboard will be Wenge

Not sure on hardware, leaning towards gold but maybe black. Will decide once the wood is all glued up.

Probably a dual soap bar arrangement but maybe P/J...80/20 chance respectively.

...more to come.

2. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    Was originally going to be Bloodwood wings fixed to a Maple, Bloodwood Wenge, Bloodwood, Maple neck core with a wenge fretboard.

I suppose it was serendipity that I messed up resawing the Wenge intended for the fretboard. I tried to split it on the band saw and it got out of hand.

Took it to the table saw which is where I should have done it to begin with and after the planer took out the bandsaw mistakes the pieces ended up too thin for the fretboard.

Thinking I may put them between the original Maple and Bloodwood unions...pretty sure I like it better. Any reason that thin Wenge between the wings would reduce the strength of the body joints? Any opinions are welcome…

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bakerbass

bakerbass

Apr 9, 2012
    There won't be a reduction in strength by putting in the wenge laminations. As long as the joining and the glueup is good, it is potentially stronger.

4. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    I am leaning very hard towards doing that actually...then just getting another piece of Winge to make the fret board.

I am starting to like the look of it in the pictures as I revisit them.

Looking for opinions on the hardware. Oringinal thinking was black but now I am thinking of gold chrome and matching gold frets from LMI. It will be easier to decide once its all built up I think but I am visualizing both but the gold frets keep me leaning that direction.

5. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    Was thinking of some fret marker ideas...

plain Bloodwood in 1/4 and 3/8

or

1/2 Maple with 1/4 Bloodwood dot, centered and edged...

What to ya'll think?

[​IMG]

6. top left for me.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Either on the right side. The two on the left look kind of cheap to me.

8. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    Is it the white outer ring in general or the thickness of it? What about white inside of red?

I was going to try a 3/8 maple with 1/4 bloodwood inner yesterday but it was splitting the maple dot. The 1/4 is a “Snappy” brand and they intentionally make the plug a hair bigger than 1/4 so you don’t “need” glue. The 3/8 fits in the slot with very light pressure. Pressing that 1/4 in the outer on breaks it. I do kinda think the 1/2 dot is too big in general. My 1/2 and 3/8 are the same brand so I may try those to see how the 1/16 thick ring looks compared to the 1/8 in the pic.

Now that I look at it the left bottom kinda looks like a slice of a dog treat we have a bucket of over here :)

9. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    Your neck lam pattern reminds me of a milk snake or king snake. It's slightly different than their pattern, but I like it. :)

2725052518_5378e9893a.jpg

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    The thickness is a big part of it, but, even though a thinner maple outline would look better, if you didn't get the bloodwood dead center it would look bad.

In the end even if you got it perfect, the simple bloodwood dot would look cleaner, and more classy IMO. But I do subscribe to the theory of less is more, and simpler is cleaner.

11. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    Yeah the dead center part is the kicker...think I am going just plain bloodwood. Simple and clean is the vibe in mind really.

1/4 seems small only cause the red doesnt open up as much...thinking 3/8 might look a little big on the higher frets. Guess I have to lay them out once I get the slots cut and judge it then.

12. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    3/8 will look fine. I use 10mm dots which are slightly larger than 3/8 and they look great. Bass is a larger instrument than a guitar, so why use the same 1/4 inch dot inlays. This is just my opinion, it is ultimately your decision.

IMAG0066.jpg

13. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    Wow...I have been off the clock on this project for about 8 weeks now for two reasons. The good one is I started a great new job and have been pretty damn busy. The bad reason occured about two weeks prior to that and its today’s shop safety lesson...be careful with the bandsaw! I was cutting those fret markers out of a piece of bloodwood (irony not lost on me BTW) with about 5 inches of 6 tooth blade spinning when a split second lapse of attention resulted in 14 stitches to close a cut that went to the bone!

[​IMG]

Doc said it was an extremly clean cut with no tendon or major nerver involvment and he did a great job stitching it up. I have full mobility back and finally most of the feeling as well...healed up really well. Job still in the way for another week or so but I hope to be back at it real soon!!!

14. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    DUDE, that cut is gnarly!

Back in tech school I had a close encounter with a bandsaw that got me 4 stitches on my left index finger.

I hope to see you get back to the build soon!

15. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    this one has been going on and on but I am almost done. Putting the finish on it right now. Storms coming in tomorrow so temp will drop a little and humidity will go up a lot so that may slow me down since I am going for 8-10 coats of pure tung oil. I have access to a powercoat oven tall enough to hang it inside...not sure why I think that will be a good idea. May bake it for an hour after #5...any thoughts on that process?

Anyway, here it is drying coat #2 Hope to be putting hardware on it a week from now. Bad phone picture! Bloodwood dots and inlay "frets" You should see them when the light hits them...they practically light up!

20131028_205024_zpse2fdc204.jpg [/URL]

16. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I've used multi-layered tung oil which is a nice finish but have not considered baking it. I would do a test piece for sure before sticking the bass in.

17. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    The body lamination looks awesome! It still reminds me of milk/king snakes. I love it. Do you have a shot of the back of the neck?

18. TheJoshinator

TheJoshinator

Sep 23, 2012
    Whoa, blast from the past! XD I'm a sucker for bloodwood and wenge, and the contrast of the maple just puts it over the top. That is one gorgeous bass, and I think I'm smitten!

19. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    I'll take some detailed ones once its all done. For now here is a back side full length and one of the neck transition. This one was several hours of sanding to get the fit to my hand perfect. I can reach the 24th with no strain whatsoever. Again, phone pics so deal with it :) DR Sunbeams can be seen in background! Using them cause long ago I learned Tony Franklin uses them and he is the reason I ripped the frets out of my third bass :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mrz2u

mrz2u

May 10, 2012
    I was going for mid 50's longboard on the roof of a woody wagon kinda vibe...you are the second person to mention the snake. Guess we all see something different.

My next one, for which I glued up the neck blank today should have a 67 AC Cobra kind of vibe. That should put the big in your minds eye so when you see it you can say how it reminds you of the most awesome car on the planet :)