1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 Wood Challenge: Tele Jazz

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hopkins, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Body:

Probably alder, Single cut, offset body. Its going to be finished in Holographic Red Fire pearl on top of a gold bass coat.
    [​IMG]

Neck: maple/maple with black binding and big black dots.

Electronics: Tele bucker in the neck position jazz bucker in the bridge. Vol/vol/tone
    Does anyone know where to get one of these without the Fender logo?
    [​IMG]

Here is the design, I'm still doing some tweaking.

IMAG0208.jpg

2. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    Me likey!

3. dremy2006

dremy2006 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Miami Gardens, Fl
    Awesome stuff... looking forward to seeing this

4. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I like the body shape. Different but still solidly on the Fender path.

5. i definitely like where this is going.

6. That red is gonna be hawwwt.

7. That body design is schweeeet. Subbed.

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Looks very cool, that color is going to rock!

9. RaniBrandt

RaniBrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I can't say I've ever seen one without the Fender logo. Even the Squier VM version has a Fender logo.

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I finally got the body shape drawn out like I like it, I also came up with a pick guard. I might change it to use a tele style control plate instead of the jazz. I don't know yet.

IMAG0210.jpg

I cut and slotted a fretboard out of a piece of maple I had laying around
    IMAG0211.jpg

I didn't make it Clarks hardwood, and Woodcraft didn't have any 8/4 alder, so instead I'm going to be using a 2 piece poplar body.
    IMAG0212.jpg

11. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    I like the pickguard. I think the tele plate would look weird on this design, but you never know.
    The maple looks sweet. I like the flatsawn look. I have some 3/16" thick maple boards like that I've been contemplating using for guitar fretboards. But 3/16" is cutting it close. doesn't leave me a lot of room to make sure the side that joins to the neck blank is flat and true.
    As for the body blank, I like poplar for it's weight and workability, though sometimes it can be a bit "punky". I also prefer poplar if I'm gonna do a solid color.
    Build on. I'm watchin'.

12. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Here is the body roughed out. The first thing I do is rout the neck pocket. Then draw the body shape, then I cut close to the line on the band saw, then I sand to the line with my belt/drum sander.

IMAG0213-1.jpg

Next I did the round over on the router table, its time for a new round over bit.

IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg

The tear out cleaned up nicely with my hand sander.
    IMAG0218.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg

Poplar gets a little fuzzy when sanding. I don't care for it much for a natural finish, but it works just fine for a solid color. Its light weight and easy to work with.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Tight. Following this.

14. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    Lookin' good so far.

Yeah, that was what I was calling "punky" earlier. IME, it can do that when routing or drilling as well. Especially drilling long runs like wiring channels, etc.

I have seen a few with clear finish that looked great. Find the right piece of poplar, or the right finishing technique and it can look fantastic. But for the most part it's a wood that lends itself to solid colors. Nothing wrong with that. It's what you want sometimes. The weight and working characteristics make it a great wood to build with when you want a solid color.

15. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Yeah its not very porous, so its easy to get an even finish because it fills easily.

16. dremy2006

dremy2006 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Miami Gardens, Fl
    ohhhh yeah... looking good

17. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Here is what Ill be using for the neck. Its a Squier neck that my friend had that he broke the truss rod on. He removed the fretboard with what looked like an angle grinder, and removed the broken rod with what looked like a steak knife. He gave it to me, so if I figured I would try and salvage it.

I routed out where the old truss rod was and filled it with a strip of maple, and the truss rod adjustment will be at the heal. I'm going to thin the head stock down a bit and put a maple veneer on it to completely hide the repair. I also reshaped the headstock to my interpretation of a Tele head stock.

I repaired the neck a few weeks ago, so I didn't get any progress shots

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

I made a pick guard today also. I cut the design out of paper and glued it to the pick guard material. The paper peels off with the protective plastic.

IMAG0220.jpg

Then I cut it out on my scroll saw. I'm probably going to have to redo it because I slipped a little on the lower horn side, and it doesn't fit the neck as good as I would like.

IMAG0221.jpg

Here it is on the bass, I'm not using gold hardware, that control plate is for another project.

IMAG0222.jpg

Thanks for watching.:bassist:

18. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    Looks good to me.

19. A very unique project & one that I will be watching with interest. Thanks for sharing & take care. Bob

20. Praxist

Praxist

May 28, 2010
    British Columbia
    wow, wow and wow! you make fast work!