Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

30 1/2" scale vs 34"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ollielangfan, Dec 12, 2005.

1. ollielangfan

ollielangfan

Apr 3, 2005
    Nampa, ID
    Well I was looking at the smaller scaled fretboards on some of the basses out there like the SG (30 1/2") or the Mustang (30") and I was wondering if anyone with experience would give me some input on the subject. It looks pretty intreaging having the frets closer together. To me at least it looks like I'd be able to play a lot faster and cleaner. Any advice would really help. thanks.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't mind playing either way, but some people will complain about the lack of tension - same thing with B strings on 34" basses I guess.

3. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    I had a nice Mustang in the '80s. It was easier to play faster, but lacked the solid low frequencies of a 34" scale bass. I could never rattle windows with it, but it was fun to play.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you search on "shortscale" or "short scale" here in the forums, there is a lot of discussion to read through. Personally I love the playability of shorter scales, but it's also true that the E-string can be a bit flabby sounding. Certain builders have done better than others. My favorite "production" (non-custom-made) shortscales are the old Guild JSII and the recent (but discontinued) Ampeg AMB-1. Lately I have preferred 32" scale as a good compromise between easier playing and tighter bass.