30 days of eating only McDonalds

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, May 24, 2004.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    from http://entertainment.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4459,9657041%5E10431%5E%5Enbv,00.html

Has anyone seen this film yet?
  2. Ive heard about this. I think it was a foolish thing for him to do.

I can barely eat McD's once a month let alone for every meal for a month. :meh:
  3. What they don't tell you is that the weight gain and other bad factors accompany's the lack of excercise.

Eating doesn't make you fat, rather not excercising enough when eating alot makes you fat. And that whole atkins thing... Carbohydrates are what you NEED to burn for excercise: does this imply anything about the people on that diet?

Lift some weights and run around your neighborhood, it's not that hard. It's not the burgers that make you fat, it's cause you're lazy!!! (directed at fat people who blame the issue on their diet)

Burgers 4 life!!! (and this is coming from somone who's 5'11" and weighs 155 lb)
  4. Although genetics does also have a role to play in these sorts of things.

But then again, I try not to worry about these things by simply not eating nasty food like McDonald's anyway.
  5. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    You're right, burgers don't make you fat, but I think everyone can agree that eating a lot of fast food is not healthy. I personally wouldn't sacrifice my arteries to prove that point when over 50% of America is already walking proof.
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I dont think that the weight gain was the biggest problem. It sounds more like the interal problems (ie liver, chest pains) and the mood swings (read the article) that accompanied the food.

The article isn't clear whether or not he exercised, but it sounds like he didnt - if he did, the case is even worse for McDonalds.
  7. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    You have to realize how much this guy was eating though.
    "Spurlock limited his exercise and gulped down about 5,000 calories a day at McDonald's across the country." That's a Big Mac, a Large Coke and a Large Fries three and a half times a day. That's a lot of food for most average people.

I heard about a lady who is trying to do the opposite by only eating at McDonalds and losing weight, and she's doing it. I don't think this film is exsposing the evils of fast food (I've heard some people say this), but it should make us more conscious of what we put in our bodies.
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Actually, I think their food taste nasty....[​IMG]
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Thank you!

I have this argument with an older guy I work with all the time. He's totally "off bread," yet he still looks as doughy as he did before he started Atkins. Why? Because he doesn't friggin' exercise, he just stopped eating cereals and grains! The simple fact is that if you want to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in. You can do that in two ways: Exercise more (become more physically active) or take in fewer calories (by counting calories or simply eating less). If you really want to lose weight fast, don't just diet, throw some weights around and do some cardio (you know, 20 minutes of cardio a day can help the average person lose or maintain weight).

BTW, I don't do diets and I sure as hell would never fall for Atkins (as Davy0 says, if you cut your carbs, where is your energy going to come from?). I do everything in moderation (fast food, beer, fried foods, sweets), but try to get equal portions of protein, carbs and fat throughout the day. I also exercise very regularly (I lift weights 3 to 4 times a week and I do 20 to 45 minutes of cardio once or twice a week) and I gotta tell ya, I'm lookin' pretty damn sexy as of late.

:D :D :D
  10. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I heard he made sure he was walking the same amount as the average american, so I guess that means no exercise.

He was on the radio last week and apparently there were no long term side effects to his body.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Is there an article or anything regarding this? Because I'm skeptical. Obviously, not exercising is the main culprit for obesity, but you need to have a balanced diet if you want to stay healthy. McDonalds' foods are so heavy in fats and carbohydrates, you need to have some real protein...not to mention fiber, vitamin E, Iron etc.

If she did in fact do that, then I wouldn't be surprised if she had a heartattack while working out.
  12. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm thinking she only eats salads and such.
  13. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Oooh... my first post on the plank spankers side! :D

Anyways, saw the movie last week and it's was a f***'n eye opener. Spurlock basically just forced himself on a totaly 3 meals a day diet for 30 days and tried to repeat what the average american does: hardly walking anywhere (<2 miles per day), no exercise, and anything he consumed HAD to come from McD's... including water.

He gained 24 lbs and his health went to hell. At about 1 week left, his doctors warned him urgently to get off his McD's diet because he was about to screw with his liver permanently.

The problem isn't that burgers & french fries are bad, or that people lack exercise... the main premise of the movie is that fast food corporations do BAD things to the food... like processing it. Buns are loaded with sugar, patties are processed, fries processed... etc. etc.

When was the last time you heard someone croaking from a diet of eating too much from a greasy spoon? Most likely those places are safer than McD's in the longterm.

Catch the movie if you get the chance. Very very good.
  14. Is Tacobell still good for you? I like tacobell better. Besides, everyone knows that wendies pwns McDonalds.

Tacobell is really good though. Also, I like the TacoBell/KFC combos, so you can get the 2 strips, 2 tacos+potato wedges value meal. That or several quesadillas does it for me.
  15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh one more thing I wanted to add:

The whole idea of the corporations processing the food is to put additives in the future so that it would make the food ADDICTING in the future. Sugars, caffeine, salt, fat... all those things are added in various ways to all their food to make them taste OH SO GOOD that you get hooked! But mind you that they hide that info so you don't know what going on with your own body. He even presents the idea of happy meals and stuff like that to hook children while they're still young.

So it makes you wonder on your next run to Toxic-Hell or BoogerKing about how much sugar is added to your taco filling or french fries.

Thank god I live in San Francisco and there are plenty of fast food alternatives.
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I did a science project in 5th grade where we cooked 1/4 of raw beef obtained from 5 burger places and measured the great content of each by cooking them on a George Foreman grill and collecting the contents that collected at the bottom.

McDonalds and Burger King were close with 3 and 2.5 mL of grease each. They won.

Wendy's averaged about 4.5 mL per 1/4 lb. Sorry Wendy's lovers but the sad truth is your burgers are greasier than Mc Donalds or Burger Kings.

Checkers had nice full 6 mL of grease per burger. Thats not something to be taken lightly. I wish I had some pictures of that to post for you guys.

Last was Fudruckers. Im not sure if you guys have those where you live but its not a fast food place. Its a sit down restaurant that specializes in burgers. Are you ready for this?

12 mL.....

So folks, there you have it. Take from it what you will.

17. Fudruckers' burgers are simply amaing, I love them. They also butter the buns, which rocks. Also, you can add as much salad-relatings stuff adn condimetns as you want--really great place.

Also, they have really big burgers, up to 1 lb. I love that place--It must be the grease that makes it good!!! :hyper:
  18. The problem with Americans is that they expect instant results, and will no longer work for them. The average American seems baffled at the fact that fat, fried in fat, has fat in it! And the always popular "Your food made me obese" Not quite. Anyone who is dumb enough to eat many meals at fast food restaraunts, and not expecting any ramifications have many things coming.

As for dieting. America is also looking for quick, do nothing, lose weight diets. And they find out that that don't work that well, and give up, don't excercize. And guess what? They gain more weight!

So for those who want to healthily lose weight. Eat healthy, drink lots of water, EXCERCISE. And do not over eat.

Argh, make Kaz angry. KAZ SMASH!!!
  19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Somewhat related. I'm just going to switch the tracks a little because I don't feel like starting a whole new thread.
  20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Eating only food from McDonalds can have serious consequences to one's health, according to a new study in the medical journal, <CITE>DUH!</CITE>