Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

30 footers on the North Shore

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Mar 8, 2005.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    id surf it....for 2 seconds then i would be held under until my breath gave out, but those 2 seconds would make it worth it.

2. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I just got back from Hawaii ( winter break ). I was on Oahu, and hit up the north shore.( not to surf.. Ha! ) Waves were atleast 15 feet tall.. I was like.. :O. Mother nature's one beast.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've been watching surfing videos a lot lately,(namely: Step into liquid, billabong odyssey, riding giants, laird, endless summer) So a 30 foot wave doesn't seem like such a huge deal, as many of these videos showcase waves exceeding 60 feet. But then I remember... HOLY ****ING ****! 30 feet is still HUGE!

that's my story. :(

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah.. I was just talking to this like 70 year old guy ( stereotypical Hawaiin guy, was awesome! ) and he was reading through this surf magazine.. And he was just commenting about how the kids now adays are riding XxxX size waves! Then he's like.. "Man! That like two of these telephone poles right here!" That put stuff into perspective..! :eek:

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Wow, is right! I have several friends who've done tow surfing at Jaws, either riding or photographing from the back of a wave runner. It gets that big, or bigger fairly often there, bit it's no place for rookies, for sure.

Anything much over head high just scares the pee outta me when I'm windsurfing. After mast high (~15 feet standard, or 7 feet "Hawaiian"), I'm definitely all done. And over a coral reef, I freak well before it gets even that big. I remember charging a head high wave off Maui and getting flung backward onto dry reef, feet first. I was just standing there, contemplating how lucky I was, when another set rolled in, and I just managed to get out of there before everything would have been smashed.

We get some surprisingly big swells here in the Gorge, but they don't pack much power for riding, they're more like a skateboard vert ramp, which is great for jumping. That's fine with me, I don't really dig being more than 15 feet or so up there anyway. :eyebrow:

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    :crying: Here on the Gulf Coast we're very lucky if we get a 10' in every now and then. I love my surfing, but I think I'd have to chicken out anywhere but along the Gulf here. :(
    I'm going to have to see if I can find the old issue, but about 2 or 3 years ago, Surfer did a cover story on a place off the coast of Argentina, I think, where about 100 or so miles out, in open water, there was a reef or something causing 100' waves to break. SCARY!