30 inch speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim nolte, Aug 1, 2019.

1. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I was talking to a fellow bass player yesterday who swears back in the ‘70s he had a 30 inch speaker that he built a speaker cab for,I told him it must have been an 18 inch,was there such an animal back then ?

mikewalker likes this.
  2. Yup.
    Used for Organs and some movie theaters.

Wisebass, MattZilla, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Saw Jimi Hndrix Bnd of Gypsies. Billy Cox was using them

getbent, petrus61 and jim nolte like this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Very low power handling, very little response beyond 1kHz and even at 1k, there is significant beaming though that's the least of the problems.

Here's the data sheet, the cone is a foam core composite, the voice coil is based on I believe the original SRO format that I don't recall being updated to the EVM but may have at the end of it's life cycle. Note thatthe sensitivity is specified from 500Hz to 1000Hz and I recall this being a 1/4-space number due to the ideal application. Horribly unsuited for bass guitar applications IMO for all of the above of reasons.

Its primary applications were home audio as a (low powered due to the era) "subwoofer" as well as for the low frequencies of organs.

Wisebass, JC Nelson, 2tonic and 4 others like this.
  5. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    I've never heard or seen one, but I have it on good authority that the 30 inch EV was possibly the worst driver ever produced by a major company.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It was certainly one of the most "specialty" drivers that I can remember ever being produced. There were no follow-up models, so I think the market spoke quite clearly in this case ;)

MegaSwing, Aqualung60, 2tonic and 6 others like this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I remember seeing a bass cab in the late 70s or early 80s with a large diameter driver. Don't remember the size but it was definitely bigger then 18", and I am pretty sure it was not the EV driver. I can't say for sure, I but think it might have been a 27" driver.

Accugroove currently makes a 21:
    Whappo Grande 21" Sub

2tonic, nbsipics and jim nolte like this.
  8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I saw one of the EV 30s in an electronics store in the late 60s...with a sign that read "Custom rear seat speaker for Volkswagen".

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. And organ speaker chamber in a church in my hometown has one huge wedge shaped cab wit a 30" EV mounted to one end... and a few dozen 6"X9" oval speakers with coaxial tweeters mounted to the long side of the wedge.

wmhill, 2tonic, Winoman and 2 others like this.
  10. Forgot to post this video with my post.
    Can not remember if it was garbage info or not but this guy did something with it. (been a long time since watching this, lots of these types of videos have garbage info.)

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

My favorite re-cone shop used to have a 30" on display, but that was years ago.
    Currently I see 21" speakers in specifications for arenas, and stadiums.

MobileHolmes and jim nolte like this.
  12. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :) I had a plan for one of these back in 1978... I wanted to build one into a 3-foot-high drum riser, and run a sub-octave signal of my bass through it - gated by the kick drum... IIRC, at the time the octave down was only doable though an 'analog multiplier' chip and I never got around to breadboarding it

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    US Speaker currently lists 4 manufacturers of 21 inch drivers - Beyma, B&C, RCF, and 18 Sound. Although the 30 incher might be dead, the 21 incher is apparently alive and well.

miljoneir and jim nolte like this.
  14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    1960 Advertisement:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bobyoung53, Wisebass, 2tonic and 2 others like this.
  15. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
  16. Yes in about 69 I saw a band in Detroit and they had a 30" electrovoice speaker it caught on fire during their set. Does anyone else remember electrovoice having a 30" speaker?

jim nolte and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  17. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I was thinking Fostex also made one of those, but their model FW800HS is actually 31.5" in diameter.

jim nolte, mikewalker and Wasnex like this.
  18. SteveIII

SteveIII

Jul 11, 2019
    Oshawa Ontario
    One of the b and c drivers is nuts
    B&C Speakers
    Did you see the xmax on this? 22mm! And apparently 80mm excursion before damage!
    99 db sensitivity and 2500 watts but 1 ohm.

jim nolte and mikewalker like this.
  19. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Yeah, you can put eight of them in one cab and wire in series to give you an 8 ohm Cabinet. Wow.... That'd be an air mover.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  20. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Any of you gents sport that Accugroove 21"? I have a Whappo Jr. myself. They make/made good stuff IMHO.

Sorry for the derail op...

jim nolte likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021