30 inch speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim nolte, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Unfortunately, no. I forget where I got those photos.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    RCF makes 20 and 21 inch speakers.

DJ Bebop and Wasnex like this.
  3. This is a glorious video. He looks like he's wearing someone's curtains, and his passion for this 30" speak is enviable. I know I sound like I'm taking the piss, but I'm well impressed.

What kind of event it this?

jim nolte and S-Bigbottom like this.
  4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    One of the Rickenbacker Transonics. Not sure who made the driver, probably EV. They supplied the amps for Led Zeps first US tour. Page and Jones were not impressed. Cheap Trick's Rick Nielson wound up with a bunch of them, he recently sold them off. There is a recently taken photo floating around with Page surrounded by a pair of Transonics as they do look really cool. Every now and then one pops up on Reverb.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. the psychology of a bass player amazes me

not many of us rock 15" anymore. nobody ever really got into 18" - too damn big! get me a 4x10"!

them someone goes "you know 30" exists, but it's really horrible" "if you see one for sale call me immediately"

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It really does depend very much on the measurement bandwidth.
    If you take the bandwidth at the -10dB points, the bandwidth number will appear more impressive but the average sensitivity number will be lower. Without stating otherwise, the stated frequency response of the driver is generally assumed.

Sometimes average is replaced by peak or maximum, which is why knowing the details are critical when choosing driver candidates for a design. Otherwise you can waste an enormous amount of time.

I specify average sensitivity over a specified bandwidth that makes sense for bass guitar applications in all my speaker designs, 50Hz to 1kHz, which generally falls within the -3dB range of the design, though I probably could use 40 Hz and the numbers wouldn't change much if at all.

jim nolte, Wasnex and 2tonic like this.
  7. thumbknuckle

thumbknuckle In Memoriam

May 23, 2012
    Westfield, MA
    DJ Bebop, groovaholic and jim nolte like this.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    DJ Bebop and jim nolte like this.
  9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I almost bought and built a bass cab with one of the 30s back in the 70s. It just seemed to cool to pass up!

Later - Cerwin-Vega came out with 24" versions of their Stroker super subwoofer. If you ever find one and want some REAL bass - snap it up! They are unbelievable as are the 18" ones. My friend had 2 of the 18s in his house for his cinema system and had to get rid of one - it was too much - literally shaking the house to pieces.

DJ Bebop and jim nolte like this.
  10. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I remember reading somewhere that Jack Casady felt that an 8 inch speaker was the ideal size for bass but this was probably before the advent of 5 string basses.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    You could shake it to the same degree with 10's, heck, even 8's depending on driver and cab design.

2tonic and jim nolte like this.
  12. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Yeah,I saw Led Zep in ‘69 at the Winterland and Page was using one,I remember the distinctive triangular shaped speaker cabinet.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Someone here older than me. Finally. Whew....:cigar:

jim nolte likes this.
  14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Years ago a buddy of mine got a 30" speaker at an estate sale. I think it had been part of a sound system in a movie theater in the 1970's, then sat in a damp basement under a music shop for at least 20 years. It was filthy.

I helped him drag it to his house, hooked it up to his bass head, expecting it to be dub paradise,...he played one triumphant note, blowing a giant smoke/dust ring out the front in the process....then no more sound. Turned out it was rated for something like 30 watts and he put at least 10x that much into it.

I'm glad I was there. And that it wasn't mine.

wmhill, bobyoung53, 2tonic and 3 others like this.
  15. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Hey I was only 16 at the time, still on my second wind !

kranahan and P_Robyn like this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Ultimately I would have to hear both to say which one I liked best...but my favorite sub just happens to be an double 18".

17. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I'm speaking from ignorance, but I know SOMEONE said that, and the more I research, the more I feel like an array of 8 to 10inch speakers is ideal. That said, I also know tuning matters so much more than size.

jim nolte likes this.
  18. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    I think we need an 8x30" cab. Preferably w/extra large ports. Not for any acoustic reasons, but simply to use as doors and windows.

Why worry about storage space when you can live in the speaker cab itself?

Think of the cost savings on rent!

GT

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

All I can say is:

Mud, mud glorious mud
    Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood
    So follow me follow, Down to the Hollow
    And there let us wallow in glorious, glorious mud!

:D

jim nolte, agedhorse and S-Bigbottom like this.
  20. If anyone cares U tube has a clip of a sound lab built 72” woofer with a custom 300 watt amp that they used for what ever. Also I found pictures of a bass speaker with a snail shell type chamber that a man could walk through. Not strictly on topic but neat to see. Enjoy

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021