30" scale, wide nut: Gibson LP Tribute DC vs Mustang JMJ vs Other?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigcupholder, May 23, 2021.

1. bigcupholder

bigcupholder

Aug 17, 2020
    Due to a lingering hand injury, I'm looking at getting a short scale bass. I can't stand narrow nuts because I play with my thumb on the back of the neck rather than wrapping it around and narrower profiles tend to cramp up my hand when I play the low frets. I had a Squier Jaguar bass (34") from which I learned I don't like narrow nuts, and now play an Ibanez SR505 (but really don't use the B string).

So I've been looking at the Gibson LP Jr Tribute DC and various Mustang models online (JMJ and American Performer). Are there any important differences I should be aware of? I play mostly classic rock and old school metal, 99% of the time using a pick and plugging into a Helix. I'd be happy with a P bass type of tone, but it doesn't need to be an exact match. It's hard to find stuff in stock these days so I might have to order online (with an option to return).

Anything else I should consider?

2. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I thought the Gibson LP Jr Tribute DC sounded amazing. I played one off the wall at GC for $599 about a year ago. If it wasnt for the slab body it would've come home with me.

But if you're playing rock etc standing up, might not be an issue.

Peanutvendor likes this.
  3. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    The jmj has the 1 5/8 width nut and the dc jr has 1 1/2 nut.

4. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    The DC Jr is a gorgeous little bass .

MattZilla likes this.
  5. bigcupholder

bigcupholder

Aug 17, 2020
    Isn't the Mustang also a slab body? It doesn't look like it has contours.

6. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    I have a Gibson LP DC and a Squier CV Mustang (not the Fenders you’re looking at but in the same ballpark). For classic rock/old school metal I would go with the Gibson. The neck on mine is definitely more chunky than the Mustang and it’s tone is much more fat and snarly.

bigcupholder likes this.
  7. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I have a Sandberg Lionel, which has a nice full-feeling neck and standard string spacing. Definitely a solid P-bass tone and vibe. Extremely well made, reasonable price if you don't add options.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Ibanez Talman TMB30.
    P/J pickups, great sound, passive bass. It can cop a solid P bass tone better than most short scales I've tried.

It's got a chunky baseball bat feeling neck.
    • Scale :
    • 762mm/30"
    • a : Width
    • 41mm at NUT
    • b : Width
    • 62mm at 20F
    • c : Thickness
    • 21.5mm at 1F
    • d : Thickness
    • 24.5mm at 12F
    • Radius :
    • 240mmR

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  9. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    There's also the Ibanez EHB1000S, with a 1.614" nut width and a 30" scale length. It isn't readily available yet, but should be very soon. It is very much not an FSO, but the design is based around ergonomic comfort.

BarfanyShart likes this.
  10. bigcupholder

bigcupholder

Aug 17, 2020
    Good to know, thanks! Snarly is a word I like to describe my ideal bass tone with. Not sure exactly what it means, but seems like a good thing.

The Sandberg Lionel looks nice. Might be hard to find though. Do you know the nut width? I wasn't able to find it online

Nice! I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I have an old Talman guitar and it inexplicably hangs better on a strap for me than any guitar I've ever played (which is a lot).
    Ibanez are usually plentiful around here in store and used (probably true of most of the world) so I could probably find one to try out.

I was considering those earlier. I'm a fan of the headless concept (both for balance and to be able to use longer strings). I actually have a headless guitar. My main concern with that one is the slanted back. I hate when guitars have too large of a belly cut and tilt back and put my left wrist in an awkward position. I've never had that problem with a bass, but I imagine it'd bug me just the same. I saw a YouTube video/rant about it so I feel I'm not alone on this one.

Too ergonomic can definitely be a bad thing when it's not well thought out.

11. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I just measured my Lionel. Nut is 39mm (1-17/32"). I ordered mine, took 5 months. It is killer.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    bigcupholder likes this.
  12. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I cannot yet speak to the relative success or failure of the ergonomics, but I have an EHB1000S on pre-order, so that should change soon.

13. bigcupholder

bigcupholder

Aug 17, 2020
    I think it depends on how high you wear your bass. If you wear it high, the strap ends up pulling the body backwards at the top because of where the rear strap button is located. Then because the back is slanted there's nothing stopping it from tilting back.

If someone wears it really low, I could see that not being a problem due to the angle of the strap and/or a belly filling in that space on the back.

Smurf-o-Deth likes this.
  14. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with a JMJ. Stupidly sold mine, same old story.

15. artimus667

artimus667 Doh!

Nov 3, 2008
    Seattle
    I’m thinking you can’t go wrong with a JMJ. I love mine. Maybe the best money I’ve ever spent on a bass. It really nails that classic old school Fender tone. I’ve got La Bella flats on mine. As a result it’s very good for pick funk, indy rock, garage rock, blues, VERY old school metal in the vein of Uriah Heep and early sabbath. I’ve never heard it with round wounds. Maybe it would be as good with with more modern heavy forms of music with round wounds. This bass sounds great with fuzz pedals or straight into an overdriven tube amp.

All this being said, I think I’m going to get the Gibby DC shorty as well. I think it will be a different enough beast. Though I’d be investing in a new bridge right off the bat to replace the less than ideal stock bridge. Also I’d be looking into other Thunderbird pickups to go in it as well. Not because it NEEDS a new pickup, but because there’s some great aftermarket Tbird pickups to choose from and it would be too fun to resist. The Seymour Duncan in the JMJ is already excellent.

I love mine enough that I bought it a new look. Good luck. I’m sure I’ve been no help. 16A219DB-A171-4F1D-AD37-91CAA5E446B6.jpeg

16. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    The Gibson DC is a beauty right out of the box . I don’t mind the three point bridge , mine was simple to set exactly where I like things , haven’t touched it since . Set and forget . No drama ,no fuss .

Tbone76 likes this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, something better.
    Reverend Dub King
    Some of the best stock pickups and electronics made.
    Split Brick Bridge
    Strong lows and highs, open mids. Like a vintage P bass pickup but with more beef, yet retains clarity. 43 gauge wire, ceramic magnet, 8.5K ohms.
    Thick Brick Bridge
    Warm and thick with strong mids. Output and punch like an active, but more organic sounding. 42 gauge wire, ceramic magnet, 7K ohms.

It's all about the tone!

th-jpeg-54.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  18. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    While we’re on reverend, try the Wattplower. 1 5/8” nut. 30” scale, mine is under 6.5 pounds. Plays and sounds great. Despite the light weight and weird strap peg location it balances great. Mine is signed by Watt himself.

276F9ED8-D183-4A41-ACCE-82C9CB9B1F10.jpeg

19. artimus667

artimus667 Doh!

Nov 3, 2008
    Seattle
    I had an SG Standard bass with the stock bridge. It was fine. I sold the bass to fund something else. I bought another SG bass that came with a Hipshot Supertone already installed. It is the superior sounding instrument of the two. More sustain and vibration.

Tbone76 likes this.
  20. bigcupholder

bigcupholder

Aug 17, 2020
    Just to play devil's advocate: wood varies a lot. I've played identical basses back to back and they sounded entirely different. It could be the bridge, but it's impossible to say unless it was switched on the same bass.

If I get the Gibson, I'm not against swapping the bridge but it's probably not something I'd do right away.