1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

30 Years Ago Today (Hofner Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shawn Luckman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. On this day (13-11-88) my Ex girlfriend pointed to a bass hanging on the wall in the guitar shop we were in, and said "there's one of those funny looking basses you like".
    And there on the wall was a 60's Hofner Violin Bass 500/1.
    The guitar shop owner was adamant it was a 70's model but I knew by the smaller pickups & thinner control plate, it was earlier but not sure of the year but it was defiantly not a 70's model. The price was £175 (aprox $316) a Squier JV bass was a £199, they were still unpopular and only really associated with Paul McCartney.

Either way I bit my lip and I bought it, it was mine. Anyhow this was before the Internet and you had to write a letter which I did to Hofner, for any information with only the serial number to help.
    I received a letter from Dr. Christian Benker who was at Hofner at the time, and let me know that my bass was made in 1964 a year after McCartney's. The years have turned into decades and the little Hofner Violin Bass I named "Lucky" is still with me through good times & bad times. I have been very fortunate with it as it has never had to have it's neck reset, and has had cut down long scale roundwounds on it in the past.
    Even though I don't play it much it is still my most cherished possession, & the only bass I would grab if my house was on fire. I have learned a lot about my bass now from pot code dates to it's body stamp date, 24th May 1964 and it was a part of the 1000 basses that Selmer ordered in April '64. I was looking at the prices of '64 Violin basses today and they are around £2000 or $2500, not a bad investment.

Peacefrog35, Mark76, Roger M and 3 others like this.