Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

300-400 watt rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Jul 12, 2004.

1. i have recently joined a band am in the market for a gigable amp with around 300-400 watts of power for around about £800 (i think that is about $1000-1100) i have been looking at ashdowns but haven't played one yet and so am looking for advice on whether this would be a good thing to go for or not, i am thinking that a rig over a combo will be better.

2. what style do you play?
    Ashdown makes some great amps, you can't go wrong with them, but maybe that naother brand fits your needs even more. Maybe EBS, ampeg, GK,....

3. most of my playing is rock/metal stuff, i love harmonics though so i need something that lets them ring (i know this is mainly the bass). im not into slap but i do like to be able to hear the string if they are struck. i use both pick and fingers.

4. Traynor YBA200 and YBX1510. Cory at www.rockcityguitars.com will give you an awesome deal on the package. Thats 1 200W ALL-TUBE head (comparable to 400-600W Solid State) and 1 1x15" and 2x10" (in the same) cab. Its right around your price range!

5. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I just got an Ashdown 300 watt head and 4x10 cab. It's thunderous, with real strong low and low-mid. Kinda lacking in the upper midrange though. Overall a very good buy. Only cost about $600 for the pair. I'm so impressed with it I am already ordering another 4x10. I'd recommend these to anyone.

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I play a Laney RBH 800. 300 watts at 4 ohms. Great head and since it is British could be a good deal for you. Check it out. I love my sound with it and play with up to 5 guitars amped.Got all the sounds I need.

tk

7. +2

8. I take it you are playing MAG range stuff, if i can afford it would it be worth going for the ABM or save my dosh?

Also i am afraid i don't think that i can get traynor amps in the UK

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well, I'm about to go the route of QSC. RMX1450. I think the RMX850 would put out appropriate wattage if you used it in stereo... but it might not be your thing... though the price is pretty swell for a power/preamp rig.

One thing is for sure... take a look at what you can find used.

10. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    absolutely. if the mag range is any indication, the abm's should be sweet.

11. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK 700RB and SBX 410 cab..........

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Depends on your budget! If you can afford the ABM stuff I'd say it's worth it - although to be honest, I tried the ABM stuff and liked it, so I bought it (ABM 500 EVO, Mini48 and Mini 15 cabs). Never tried the MAG series amps!

I also own an Electric Blue 130 combo, which is real nice. My music style is mostly heavy rock....and could be the occasional metal numbewr in there.

Ebay usually has some Ashdown stuff on it!

13. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Pick yourself up a s/h Ampeg SVTIII Pro Head and a 4x10 cab. It sounds great for rock! :bassist:

14. I also live in the uk and was in the same dilema as you... First your gonna struggle to find QSC stuff and Traynor stuff like some people have recomended... sometimes it comes up on ebay but it's pretty rare. I know it's all built very well BUT if it does break or you break it getting support will be a nightmare!

I love my ashdown rig... I know they aren't THE most relieble, still very good tho. But if i do have a problem they are only a very easy phone call or 2 hour drive away!

I decided to go for the MAG series because it was loud enough for me (still I would like a evo 500 or better) and when i played both i didn't see the huge price difference being worthwhile. Also I don't have anyone to lift my gear for me, so the fact the MAG stuff is a bit lighter helped!

I love the sound and so far haven't had to push it too far it gets a bit growlly but so far it hasn't been at all in a bad way!

btw I got 1*15 and 2*10 (easier to transport than a 4*10) and i play rock fingerstyle mainly but do use a pick sometimes. I would recomend playing it alot first tho... ashdown have their sound you have to like it first!