Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

300-400watt @ 8ohm cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I need a good cabinet for my GK 700RB/115 combo amp.
    I would like it to have a rather large top becuz i want to put my GK on top of it. I need suggestions so I can find them and try them out to see which has the nicest sound. And I would like it under $500

Thank you TB!

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ashdown Mag410t? GK SBX line? Lots of options bro, what do you want to do with it?

3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well, the GK amp I have now has wonderful high's so maybe an amp that is more earthy and low. And I would REALLY like the be able to sit my GK ontop of the cabinet.

4. AMPEG 410he 8 ohms 500w with horn, turn the horn off as they are hissy. you have then got a deep great sounding cab.

The Ashdown mag410 8 ohm cab, low cost in comparison.

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've just heard a ton of people say the Ashdown cabs are very deep and traditional sounding which sounds like it's right up your alley. Look at some reviews of them on Harmony Central, or scope the Ampegs. Have you considered a 15 or 18 or do you want the clarity of tens?

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Do 15s and 18s give a muddier sound because that's what i'm looking for mostly. The GK has clean colorful highs but the lows soetimes need some backing.

7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Depends on the cabinet, a lot of people say Ampegs are muddy, but that GK's help clean them up a bit giving you good strong lows with enough clarity to be really useful. But in general yeah, 15's and 18's have more lows and less highs than 10's. They also tend to be less focused and provide more of a happy warm bottom to your sound. Try a few out, I can almost guarantee a Guitar Center will have at least one or two 15's laying around you can try. Good luck bro.