1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$300 amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyanMitchell, Sep 26, 2005.

1. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    ok this is my last thread about this sorry for so much posting, he said in 2 weeks he will spend 300, now he isn't loking for a gig rig but something nice to practice with. he really likes this setup

http://www.music123.com/Ashdown-Perfect-Ten-Mini-Rig-i160531.music

anyone have a better suggestion in this price range? some1said a fender rumble 100 but the one at the store was broken so he couldn't try it out.

2. I am confident that an SWR LA15 or Fender Bassman 100 would own that Ashdown thing. Anything with a 15 would probably be better than that as long as its not complete crap.

3. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    well he was looking on a site and found a "Hartkee 2000" head, do u need anything beside the head to hook it up to a cab? it says something about preamps but do u need one of those? http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ has it for $149 + shipping. its 200w rms into 4 ohm and that'd be well over the power he needs. and he was planning on building a 2x12 cab.

4. The hartke 2000 is a complete head, meaning it has a preamp and a power amp combined.

He'll need a speaker cable and the speaker cabinet.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd go for a combo amp for pure practice. Those mini-rigs will get ya nowhere, and you can get a better combo for the price. I'd especially stay away from any modern Hartke gear. Just doesn't sound too good. For practice, a Fender or Peavey combo would probabally be great. I've had good experience with Crate combos as well.

6. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    yeah he knew he need the cab + cable, we have never messed with anything beside combo amps so we didnt know about the makeup of heads.