1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$300 for a bass, go!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tylerrasnakev2, Apr 22, 2010.

1. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    You have $300.00 and have to buy a bass with it, post links! :bassist:

2. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
  3. rdwoody1

rdwoody1

Aug 23, 2009
    Jackson, TN
    I have to second this one. I was at my local music store the other day and saw the black one hanging on the wall. I was curious, so I pulled it down and plugged it in. WOW! I was absolutely blown away by how great it sounded. It played nice, too. I wasn't a huge fan of the painted looking fretboard, but that is just superficial. I've been GASing for it ever since I left. And, yes, the four is the same as the five.

4. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I bought a no-name Starfire headless bass from ebay a couple of years ago for $175. It took a new set of Chromes and some tweaking but is a nice sounding bass, especially when massaged through a BDDI. Here's the catch! It was such a success I ended up buying a Gator Case, Strap, StrapLocks, Whirlwind Cord, Radio Shack Right-Angle1/4" Adapter, Korg Tuner, Planet Waves Polishing Cloth, Herco Humidifier...I went over the $300 budget!

Attached Files:

5. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    In all seriousness this is probably as good an option as there is at the price point new... for your budget I absolutely recommend pounding the pavement a little, hit pawnshops check out used gear in music stores... you never know what you might find, play everything even the ones that don't grab ya'!

The same is true for new basses too especially at the lower price spectrum, take them all down and play them... eventually you'll grab "the one" when you do you will know it! LOL I recall having annoyed the staff at mars music when it was still open... I must have played 20-25 MiM strats, before I found one I really liked.

That old cheap strat has been used by lots of guys on lots of recordings, and I still have it.

6. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Pimp it with a couple of Bartolini soapbars and you're done!
    Maybe a rad paintjob?

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If all I had was $300, I'd be doing the pawn-shop crawl... and ebay. Find me a funky old bass that no one wants that's actually a decent instrument.

8. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
  9. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Go for the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz. A little heavy, but really nice bass for the money.

10. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    ^^^^^YEP I paid less than $300 for the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz and I'd do it again and again if I could.

11. Gretsch 2202 Electromatic Jr. Jet. Great bass! And I'd have money left over.

Gretsch2202.

12. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    old peavey fury...just picked one up for $220...phenomenal

13. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Peavy Foundation, Traben Array 5, ESP LTD 55-5, Peavye Millenium BXP 5 string.

I was in this situation before. I really miss my foundation though. I picked it up for 50 bux at a flea market then traded it 2 months later for tattoo equipment. Kicking myself now for it because I don't even have the tat equipment anymore (it's at my parents house).

14. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    $300 down payment on a Ritter. :D

15. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009