$300, mmkay?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nick g., Mar 6, 2005.

1. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Yeah, so my band's first show (in its current incarnation) is a week from today, and the first prize is $300. My amp died at the audition.

Guess what?

It's still dead. We blew two brand new fuses trying to get the piece another breath of life, but no. They popped as soon as I hit the power button.

So, I'm a little pissed.

Anyway, more about the show. There's about fifteen acts. We are the only band in the whole show. It is run by black people, and no less than 10 of the acts have all black/Mexican participants. The other 'talents' are either dancing, 'singing', or rapping. We're playing Seek and Destroy, more than likely without particularly audible vocals.

I'm not worried in any way about the music, as I would say we can pull it off now with one to zero mistakes, and a hell of a lot faster than Metallica plays it, solos and everything.
  2. Moderator, not sure about the racist stuff in this post.....
  3. Wow Southpaw.. you must really be looking to narc on someone.
    Seriously that is fairly minor content.. perhaps distasteful, but where are the derogatory remarks?
    I am sure the moderator would have foundany problem in it without your little message as he/she would have to read the post before they got to yours anyway.
    Learn to mellow a bit.
    Nobody likes a tattle tale.

That said, if the content is poor I am sure mods will edit it promptly.
  4. Your amp sounds like it has an earthing problem.

Im sure that the black people were trying to put on a good show, maybe you misunderstood what they were hoping to put on.

Rap is a valid form of music, whether you like it or don't.

misunderstanding is the first mistake we make when dealing with others.
  5. Drake, sorry,

im not narcing on anyone, mebbe i just read it the wrong way
  6. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ya I know how you mean.But I believe he didn't mean anything derogatory
  7. Back to the topic at hand:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and in this case two ways:

First, you do realize that most of the "Battle of the Bands" (or "talent shows", whatever they want to call them) are fixed? Rigged? Pre-determined winner? Kinda like around here, bars have "writer's nights" where bands get to come in and play (without pay, of course) for the "exposure". The only "exposure" is the bar owner/manager who is laughing all the way to the bank. Free entertainment (that brings all their friends and supporters) yet plenty of customers.

Nevertheless, play your heart out, first it's good experience, second you do get a little bit of that-ther "exposure"....

As far as your amp, the fuse is doing its job. Something inside your amp is drawing more current than it's supposed to. DON'T attempt to put in a bigger fuse.

I can't diagnose amps long-distance over a forum thread; it could be something completely minor, like a wire that is shorting out (I've seen bare wires contact the frame of an amp), or something far more major. I'm attempting to write an epistle on amp troubleshooting...but unless you know how to use an ohmeter and have some basic knowledge of electronics, better take the amp to a tech. FWIW, here's what I would do to diagnose it in person: first unplug the amp!! Then use the ohmeter to see if there's a dead short between the hot side of the incoming AC and neutral. If so, find it. If not, unsolder the bridge rectifier from the power transformer (I'm assuming this is a solid-state amp) and power up again, if fuse doesn't blow, the problem is downstream of the power transformer...and so on.

If this is a tube amp...different approach...but you get the genereal idea.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not racist at the moment, but if it turns that way, it won't be around for long.
  9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    What is racist in this post?
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I didn't see anything at all racist in this post. Sounds to me like he's saying he's up against a bunch of people who's taste in things, or culture is a lot different than what he's going to be doing.

I disagree that most battles are fixed. I think quite the opposite actually. I don't know if I've ever seen one that was, and I've won a handful of them. There are other things I truly DISLIKE about "battles" though.

1st - they're usually run by lowlives that are trying to get as much entertainment into their place, for as little money as possible - ie. the show at hand - 15 acts for $300. That's a pretty good deal if they're charging any kind of admission.

2nd - it IME rarely has anything to do with the talent of the act. most often has to do with who has more friends that are willing to come to the show and make a lot of noise.

3rd - I'm one of those new age guys who always hated the competition around this kind of stuff. I'm more talented than you, my band is better, you suck, I shouldda won, we gotta be the best - thats for sports, not arts. It's all subjective.

I'll finish by saying that many many moons ago I was in a pretty big NYC battle of the bands sponsored by the NY Police Dept. and a huge radio station. There were many preliminary battles in different boroughs (2 of which in which we had to compete), and then the final battle at the Central Park bandshell. It was a rainy day, and what should have taken several hours went the entire day and most of the night. Bands kept starting and stopping and everyone hung around because the winner would be announced at the end. I think there were 15 bands doing 2 songs each. Some had elaborat costumes, dancing, girls singing 4 part backing harmonies. Some real talent. We were a 3 piece punk band and laughing at the fact that we knew we didn't stand a chance. We had shorts and t-shirts on. Only reason we won the first preliminary battles was cuz no other bands showed up. We were the last band. We made the daily news the next day :) . The other bands were sooooo pissed - but the judges put a lot of weight on originality and at the time we had it. I guess a lot more so than the other bands that day. I'll never forget that feeling of shock and joy.
  11. nick g.

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
  12. nick g.

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Yeah, I figured after the first new fuse that that wasn't the problem, but I have no idea where to start otherwise.
  13. Again, i just read it that way. Its been said before, its hard to read ones intentions on a forum page and i agree i may have read it incorrectly - i apologise.

We have a woman in my part of the world who advertises Battle of the Bands and Australian Idol type shows almost weekly. When you get in touch with her, she makes it very clear that no one gets paid except the winner of the show, about $100AUD. We stay well clear.

Many younger bands have fallen into the trap of appearing in these shows, which make good money for the venue and this particular woman. I agree that it isn't really right to do this - its just making dollars out of younger hopefuls.
  14. nick g.

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    As far as I know, we're not paying a dime to play at our city auditorium.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rap may be a valid form of something, but not music.
  16. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Sorry to be difficult munji but where is the music/not music line. I am not a rap person at all, I enjoy more of the death/black metal stuff. (and lots and lost of other stuff also) But that doesn’t mean that I think rap is not music. In my opinion, it takes a very talented person to rap well
  17. BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    A couple of years ago, my best freind performed at the Apallo talent contest when Steve Harvey came to Fair Park, South Dallas. Every one knows how hostile the Apollo crowd is and he was real intimidated, so he started out by saying, "I'm going to play some music that you may not hear every day." Thinking they would be willing to listen a little longer to the progressive rock he was about to play. NOT! OMG! They really let him have it. He got through the first verse amids the boo's, then he got yanked off the stage. I told him that he may have said "You people don't listen to this"

Sometimes people are too quick to call something racist. Don't get yor panties in abundle, I'm black, my freind that got boo'd is octaroon (thats my joke for him, white father, black mother, but he looks Puerto Rican)

But you got to use some common sence in selecting songs for a particuar venue - Progressive Rock for the Apallo/South Dallas? - Come on now! (and hip hop at the Mosh Pit may not be a good idea either). So they probably thought he was racist because of the You People, And he thought they were racist and boo'd him because he was light skinned. :bag:

The funniest part is that the apollo band caught the chords to his song, and became the interlude between acts. I felt bad for him, but it was funny as heck, still is . :D :D
  18. Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I'm from Dallas too..and I didnt relaize the Apollo was in South Dallas..But that is a funny story..
  19. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    all im going to say is this.

battle of the bands, is not the same as a talent show.

not all botb are rigged. my band has one a few bigger ones int eh past(warped tour and hellfest) which was solely on ticket sales and local popularity.

also, no offense, if i were a judge, and your equipment crapped out on stage, i would have given a vote right away.
  20. BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    It was a one time thing. Steve Harvey did the auditions over the phone lines during his radio show. That was a hoot in itself. Then the 6 or 7 or however many folks he picked during the morning show went to the Fair Park show that weekend. I think the winner of that show was supposed to go to the real Showtime at the Apollo in New York.