Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$300 P gets more attention than my Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txpitdog, Mar 7, 2006.

1. txpitdog

txpitdog

Jan 1, 2006
    I've got a plain ol' '83 MIJ P-bass. I changed the pick ups to Quarter Pounders, but other than those and the D'Addario Chromes, it's just a stock P-Bass. Nothin' special about it, except for how freakin' sweet it is to play! Nothing wrong with that!

Except for the fact that I've got a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 just sitting in the corner. :meh: When I want to play, it just seems natural to pick up the P instead of my Warwick. It could be any number of things, string spacing, neck shape, etc. All I know is that when I bought the Warwick, I thought I'd never play my Pbass again. Hasn't happened. The one saving grace for the Warwick is the aggressive growl and tone. The P's tone can't hang with a single note from the Warwick. If I could somehow match the tone of my Warwick with the playability of my Pbass, I'd be in heaven.

2. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Same thing happened to me, sort of. Once I got my elrick i thought I would never touch my fender again. although the fender has p/j emgs in it which i really liked for that bass. something about those pickups and being able to control just a bit of fretbuzz that sat right at home with me. but im playin my jazz right now...so screw the other two....(uh?)

tOm

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And Thus is the story of every bassist. Looking for a bass that feels great AND sounds great.

4. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    maybe you dont play it because you are more comfortable with a 4string?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Doesn't surprise me.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    it is a 1983 MIJ Fender too you know :)

7. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I think that it may have to do with comfort zone. You know the p-bass better, so you gravitate toward it. Happens to us all.

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Corvette bodies are kinda small, that's what keeps me from playing my $$ very much, I play my Katana more than my jazz. Some people don't like the look, but that Katana plays well.