1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

300 Tube Watts is the only way for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outoftune, Jun 10, 2018.

1. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I've chased sound for a couple years now and have come to the conclusion that a 300 watt all tube bass amp is the gold standard of bass sound. I’ve tried a lot of amps and there are a lot of great ones out there but nothing touches the big boys in filling a room with bass.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not slagging on anyone’s preference of amp but I just love to bask in the full tubiness of a 300 watt bass amp. It is just so full and lush and everything I ever want from an amp.
    Anyway, just loving on my current rig and sound.
    Carry on.
    B9187BC8-7070-479D-A056-77E21C142042. 6B15612C-CC2C-45DA-BD54-8A34B5346888.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I’m glad that you have found something that satisfies your need. For myself I couldn’t use something with so little power. my Acme speaker cabinets need something like 400W each to sound how I want them. :)

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I recently left the world of lightweight amps in favor of this setup. So far I’m not regretting it one bit.

FAA5F1B8-0318-402D-85A6-1D201D7BD154.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I love my Tube head. I love my SS head too. I like to use a little compression and they both sound fantastic.
    I did a gig last night with an older Roland Keyboard amp. It sounded fantastic and we were outside.
    Of course Ric's sound great no matter what IMO.

5. Nice amp, and sorry for the derail, but what stand is that?

6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It’s a Hercules GS523B, with the expansion kit to make it a 4 guitar stand instead of 3.

It’s the best stand of this type that I’ve owned. Much better than the Rockstands, etc, that I’ve had in the past.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Awesome rig. I have a Neo 610 also but wouldn't mind trying the 410/115 stack either. That has to sound soooooo good.

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Even though it shouldn’t according to TB, it sounds absolutely killer to my ears. The 115 on top is where the sweet spot really seems to be, it really rounds out the sound nicely.

I’m not loud enough on stage to ever get to a point where I’d damage the 15 making it try to keep up with the 410. My rig is a stage monitor/DI only ( I mic and DI, and my soundguy mixes the signals as needed).

Wisebass, Stumbo, S-Bigbottom and 2 others like this.
  9. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Same here.....for the most part. I play in a rock/southern soul band and it would never push loud enough to hurt anything. My stoner rock band is another story though, lol. That is 6 or 810 territory for sure.

10. Thanks.

ghostinthemach and Pbassmanca like this.
  11. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Nice rig! I completely agree...nothing compares to 300 watt tube head. I’ve had both an SVT-CL and SB300...both solid and fat sounding. Sadly sold both...kinda regretting that. However I did find the v4b to be killer sounding at only 1/3 of the power and for the just in case moments I run two, honestly a single v4b thru an 810 has cut it every gig so far. A 300 watt tube head is definitely on my GAS list though or maybe a third v4b?

20F52928-6975-4A7C-A86F-8948BE40A5DC.

12. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Not to rederail the thread, but that green (jazz?) bass needs to be in front. I’m a sucker for matching headstocks.

BassByBaldSteve, Stumbo and BigNotes like this.
  13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    cool, too bad orange and mesa don't make a high gain 300 watter like my d180

14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
  15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, it’s a limited edition surf pearl American Elite Jazz V. My favorite bass I own, although the Elite Precision and Dimension come pretty close (and yes, those are sticker “inlays” on the Precision and Dimension).

I’ve become kind of a Fender fan. Along with the 3 basses above, plus the SB300/Neo410/Neo115, I also have a Bassman 150 112 combo, a Bassman 250 210 combo, and I also picked up a Rumble 500 head for a backup/ practice head.

Sorry for the derail!

BassByBaldSteve, BazzaBass and Spent like this.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You go girl!

17. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    TOOOBZ! :)

They provide a tone, and feel, that is unmatched.

Nice rig, Outoftune! :thumbsup:

spankdaplank and outoftune like this.
  18. jmon

jmon Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    Right there with you man. Slapped a 4ohm 15 in this cab that Eminence recommended and it sounds amazing. Heavy yes. Worth it yes. Unless there is some crazy upstairs no elevator type gig I’ll be using this rig.

56C82AAA-491F-4ED2-AF63-D1BAC8D1B5D5.

19. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My sentiments exactly. I've had a couple Fender Bassman amps and an SVT and got hung up on the weight. I then ran through a bunch of amps and landed on 100 watt tube amps. I had a chance to trade my 100T for the Super Bassman and am so glad I did. The weight is worth the sound.

IngloriousOz and Pbassmanca like this.
  20. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Sorry for the momentary derail OP, but I have a question for Jmon: out of curiosity, which particular driver did Eminence recommend for that cab?