1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

300 Tube Watts is the only way for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outoftune, Jun 10, 2018.

1. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    very nice rig.

2. Iofflight

Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    I own one too and turned it into a fiver. It holds those 3 basses and 2 guitars pretty comfortably. It's a great stand.

Ryan L. likes this.
  3. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    I mean, it's a Fender Super Bassman. It's hard to get a bad sound out of it. I love your set up!

outoftune likes this.
  4. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks.

PullThePlug likes this.
  5. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Well, I never said "can't" and I did acknowledge that you and others have obviously done it. Since it had been brought up, I just tried to relate the reasoning, as far as I understand it, of why it's sometimes not recommended, which might be more simply put thus:
    Ported cabs can get loose in the deep lows (relative to sealed cabs, anyway). Tube heads are (generally) a little loose relative to (don't control a speaker as tightly as) solid-state heads. Loose + loose might not be the best combo.

I might be oversimplifying and "loose" is a matter of degree. Further, there are plenty of other factors (likely including many of which I'm unaware) aside from damping factor that will influence how a head and a cab work together. I tried a Quilter Bass Block 800 next to a Shaw B-150 tube amp (sorry, guys, only 150 Watts and four KT88s) and the Shaw handled staccato notes better, felt more solid, had more controlled lows, more detail, better mids, better highs, better note-separation in chords -- better everything (though I'm sure the BB would go louder), and in a way that defied tube amp stereotypes. (This isn't to dog on the Bass Block -- it's one of the nicer small heads I've tried and I liked several things about it -- but the comparison holds. This was through my MAS 112, which is not a sealed cab but isn't a ported cab in the traditional sense, either.)

Might be that I bought too readily into "tube amp + ported cab = bad" saw, or let my early experience with my friend's Sunn head and the PR1832HE color my perception and expectations too much, but the reasoning isn't completely out there. (To be fair, I haven't heard any class D micros drive that cab to my satisfaction, either -- they've had all the crisp definition of wet cardboard -- only stout, transformer-based, class AB SS heads -- but that cab might be an outlier.)

In any case, if you're using your SVT head successfully with your SVT 410 HLF, that trumps whatever I might say, or whatever the TB common wisdom might be.

I've played through a few 410 HLFs, here and there, but I haven't lived with one as you have. I've never played one with a tube head (as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm still fairly new to tube power) and it wouldn't have been the first thing that occurred to me, but I'll be a little more open to the idea, now. It would make sense that most, if not all, of Ampeg's cabs should pair well with its flagship head.

ljazz, mattwear and Wasnex like this.
  6. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I've had a few, and with good cabs, and the plushy bloom from tubes in the power section is very nice, but, at the end of the day, GK (800-RB, 400-B) has the sound that works best for me. The G.I.V.E. technology boost knob tends to put me in a headspace that allows complete immersion in the performance at hand. Psychologically speaking, not having glass and maintenance concerns certainly doesn't hurt.
    Just my opine onion.

mbelue likes this.
  7. Bill Bohlen

Bill Bohlen

Mar 9, 2017
    YES, I'm still loving the tone of the SB300! I don't need an army of pedals to get great tone. The two channels give me amazing cleans and as much real dirty fuzz as I could ever want. Sure it's a heavy amp, not as heavy as an SVT. The NEO speakers are light....so as long as I can still lift the amp and place it atop the speaker and roll it, I'm all good. Stairs suck, but the tone is so good and loud I will deal with the inconvenience.

rodl2005 likes this.
  8. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    The four confusing amps in the Ampeg line are the SVT-II, SVT-2Pro, SVT III, and SVT 3pro.

• The SVT II is a Ampeg SVT-CL with a 6 band EQ, single master volume, and rack mountable.
    • The SVT 2pro has a 9 band EQ, master and gain, and is rack mountable
    • The SVT III is basically a SVT II preamp mated with a 350 watt bi-polar power section (three tube preamp)
    • The SVT 3pro is a five tube preamp section that also powers the mosfet power section. Has tube gain, 9 band EQ and has a 450 watt power plant.
    Different flavors and configs based on the needs of the player. All of them sound fantastic based on player needs, and none of them are really the same amp. Best way to view them by setting, and genre (era) of music they were introduced in.

The cabs and speakers each could be paired with brings on a whole 'nother flavor but, I will save that topic for another day/thread.

armyadarkness and baxter_x like this.
  9. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    IMHO - I love the SVT 3pro as well. I found it to be well suited for Grunge, 90's Alternative, and recording Metal tracks. My guess is that the 6pro was introduced (two 3pro power sections permanently bridged) to address onstage volume needs of heavier music.

baxter_x likes this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Tube amps can work with ported cabinets and sound great, but certain cab/amp pairings sound awful. The old Mesa double 15 loaded with EVs typically sounds great with tube heads, but this cabinet does not have a huge extended low end.

I have seen threads where a few people say they like the 410HLF with their SVT, but I think most people who like this cabinet are running big power solid state output sections that can control the huge low end of the cabinet a bit better. The SVT's built in HPF probably makes it better suited for this cab than some other all tube heads. I am certain an Aguilar DB359 would be a very bad pairing with a 410HLF as this amp is a bit scooped in the low mids and has its own huge extended low end.

Bottom line...amp and cab pairings are an important factor to consider.

Raw N Low likes this.
  11. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Makes sense to me. Thanks for the perspective.

12. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I have nothing to add. Great rig!! Of course it sounds fantastic!!

outoftune likes this.
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Hey! It’s great seeing a post from you again. :D

14. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Matt freeman, Rancid one of my favorite bands. I love op Ivy too. Matt Freeman plays pick bass like no other. Its unworldly.

armyadarkness likes this.
  15. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    So what you're saying is I should just skip the v4b and 100t and go right to the big boy? Honestly an SVT or Supr bassman Pro are the holy grails or like making it to the big leagues.i would never have to upgrade again unless I wanted something different. I love Ampeg and like I said own and have owned some Ampeg stuff. It was all great but only one time I played a SVT and nothing compares to that out of all the Ampeg gear I've owned. I have had my fair share of Fender amps as well. Like I ai I have only play/work with fender basses. As far as the Super bassman, from what I've seen and herd it is the BEST! Its like a 10, perfect.

rodl2005 likes this.
  16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    300 tube watts are indeed lovely. But I do wonder why there are so few 200 watt heads in use. I find my Orange AD200 and Trace Elliott V4 slot very nicely in the gap between the V4B and my Super Bassman. Although I must say that the Trace V4 feels almost as heavy as the SB. If I had to own just one tube head I would be seriously looking at 200 watts as a one head fits all setup.

mattwear likes this.
  17. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    It really is everything I have wanted in an amp and sound from an amp. What is funny is I started my bass adventures a few years back when I got back into music and bought the SB300 and an 810 (for dirt cheap) and thought it was too much for what I was doing. Fast forward to today and I am back where I started. I have played a ton of stuff in the meantime and can say that the SB300 is where my road will end. I do have a V4B and a Quilter BB800 and will use them as needed but if I can lug this amp around with me, it will be the one I play.

I always wondered why more companies do not make a 200 watt head. The Orange AD200 is a great amp also. I never owned one but had a chance to play one at GC with an 810. Very very big thick sound.

18. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Tube amps are way cool. For a few years I only used them and tried out a pile of the best ones. I miss them a lot, just not enough to carry one. That sums me up but I am glad you guys are keeping them going.

NOVAX, armyadarkness and outoftune like this.
  19. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Mesa Boogie has a 200 watt head that I love!

The Buster! Bass 200. IMO it’s a bit like the Bassman with a Mesa feel.

Lately I’ve ditched my Ampeg 8x10 and have been using my Avatar 1x12/2x10 combo instead.
    31CF4BE9-FF6E-4125-BBFA-8F2ADEBB6DFD.
    I’ve been kicking around the idea of selling all my cabs and finding the ultimate 2x12 for the Buster.

mattwear and outoftune like this.
  20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    That dirt is what I don’t favor. He even has it when it’s supposed to be the clean. That’s why I favor designs that give that phat hifi McIntosh/Sunn 2000s/Hiwatt/& now Monique sound. Intense tube drive can be had by touch. To each his own, YMMV.