1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

300 Tube Watts is the only way for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outoftune, Jun 10, 2018.

1. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I had two SWR G3s in my studio. Put a Reeves head on them and the speaker movement was visible. It sounded commensurately bad. Put Bass 750 hybrid head back and there was pure loud full sound with no movement.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Even the SB's "OVERDRIVE" channel can easily be used as an (active eq ) clean channel, ..part dial the BLEND control off.
    The SB is, at least imo, VERY different to the previous Bassman 300Pro. Which is a cool amp itself. The Super Bassman is- again, imo, much more tubey sounding. Very tubby and thick 2nd lush. The 300PRO was (iirc) more straight out punchy, very versatile but not as "vintage" sounding.... :whistle: I dunno, it's hard to describe. But to me, the SB just SITS in the mix beautifully. Straight up, no messing with the eq... for me. Vintage channel stays mostly at Bass.4. M.10. T.4.
    Modern(overdrive) channel, I'll adjust to suit a room, to make the drive blend and fit what I might want that particular gig/ room.
    But the vintage channel, just always sounds great.

And...... the Ampeg SVT2PRO is all tube, 6x6550 power tubes, rack mountable and has a few more bells and whistles than the CL etc, but, one that's in good condition (as any amp) sounds fantastic..... like all the tube SVTs.
    ..the 3,4,6,7,8 PRO amps are all hybrid. Tube pre amp with S S. power sections. :thumbsup:

3. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Thanks for the info... Still not sure how to put it to good use... I obviously don't need another tube head, but I would like the fender. I just have to figure out what version would best suit me.

My SVT and V4B are the same, turn it on and go... Never touch a knob. The Strategy 88 I'm fiddling with knobs the whole time. Fender had a 2 and 300 watt pro version of the Bassman about 10 years ago and I thought they looked cool. You still see them in okay shape, but I don't know if they were any good.

4. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Agreed. I like clean tube punch... I have pedals to drive. Oddly enough, my V4b and SVT stay clean, but my Strategy breaks up faster I think.

5. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Agreed. Super underrated player. Whenever some tool insinuates that guys with picks can't really play, I just whip out the Matt Freeman card.

baxter_x likes this.
  6. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I'll take 150 of these conservatively rated tube watts......
    20180323_181103. 20180428_171551.

scf4003, murphy, Stumbo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I own tube amps that range from 55 watts up to 300.

A 300 watt rig can get mighty physical and expensive, so it's good to have some options. The Fender Bassman pro 300 is a brute of an amp.

8. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    The Orange AD200 is a superb piece of kit
    I can't justify buying one but yeah

How you been bro?

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    All good up here, cheers Foal. Trimmed down the bass collection to four which actually feels quite good. Still loving the tube heads which sit nicely with the Barefaced 10s. First gig with a new drummer coming up.
    Hope all is well with you too. The Bassplayer.co.nz site seems to be pretty well dead now - guess there just aren't enough of us active to keep it going.

10. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Hahaha!!! Same here. Matt Freeman is an expectational player. And yes, he plays with a pick. I dare any bass player who consider true bass players don't use a pick to listen to Matt. Their jaws will probably drop down the floor.

spatchthepunk likes this.
  11. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Sacrilege.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    hey there Paul. Yeah.....it took me a bit to find my logon and password.

Somebody has to come here though and keep an eye on Agedhorse. ;-)

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    It must be “$hi+e”, Martha! It only has four knobs!:)

ljazz likes this.
  14. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
  15. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Oh stop it. Just get yourself a cart! lol

Raulplaysbass and metron like this.
  16. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Ok so I posted here yesterday, then got a little nostalgic and asked myself if I am really that lazy. Sort of, but maybe not? Then I see a 400+ on local CL which is one of the classic tube amps I haven't really used much. I'm looking into it. :D

armyadarkness likes this.
  17. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Bassman, Super Bassman, Bassman Pro... Wt...

18. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Mesa tubes... That's why God invented the hand truck. I laugh when they say that they tried to keep my strategy light.

19. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Sure sure but compared to other 400w tube amps like the Classic 400, I think they really did a good job on making the Strategy lighter. It's all relative though.

20. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Absolutely! I wish it had at least four more!.... Not!