1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

300 Tube Watts is the only way for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outoftune, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Basically it all boils down to which you like better, there is absolutely no reason why a tube amp cannot be used with any compatible speaker, (impedance, rating etc.) I usually use my SVT's with the sealed 8 x 10 cabs, mine are early 70's flat backs and are only rated for 240 watts RMS, I actually think the ported 15's I have sound a little tighter when I really crank them, the SVT's sound tighter when played within their correct parameters.

ljazz likes this.
  2. I've been using Ampegs for years but my first good amps were Fenders. I recently bought a near mint '67 blackface Dual Showman head, I think the black face Fenders are the classiest looking amps made, love the new Superbassman's, haven't been able to try one yet though.. The Fender sounds great with an old flatback SVT 8x10, really cranks and is clear as a bell, still love the Fenders, can't wait to try it on a gig. I also use my SVT head with a PR 410HLF which is ported and it sounds great.

3. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I haven't needed anything else in 10 years, although the new better Rubys that went in last fall made it even better. Most times the 2x10 stays at home. Besides all the 300W tube amp merits, it's also extremely expressive based on how you play, and twiddling the knobs on it a little and/or on the L-2000 gives a wide variety of tones. Now a keyboard also goes through it. But I swear it gained 10 pounds since I got it.
    575595_4819900294946_2082539738_n.
    Edit: Ported cabs.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    matt11 likes this.
  4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Yes. Many tube amps used to be paired with ported cabs. B-15 in some incarnations, old Sunns, etc.

Ellery likes this.
  5. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    I can tell you from experience that Sunn tube heads sound "right" on Sunn ported cabs.

Korladis likes this.
  6. You've probly got it sussed by now, but, upon re-reading this thread.....

The Fender amps....
    Bassman 300PRO is the rebranded Sunn 300T. Again, 300w from 6x6550 power tubes, and 2 channel, but with built in compressor and graphic EQ and a few (too many? ) bells and whistles.
    I had one for a couple of yrs but sold it for an SVTII

Super Bassman. ..... is the current model, came out in '12 perhaps. I got mine then anyway. 300w from the 6x6550 power tubes, and two channels. Channel one is the VINTAGE channel, with the old Bassman EQ, where if the 3 (bass, mid, treble) knobs are all OFF, there's no sound, volume... and "flat" eq is Bass-2, mid-10, treble-2. I usually set mine at about 4,10,4. Pretty much anyway. It's a real set n forget channel, sounds great, always.

The 'MODERN' or 'OVERDRIVE' channel CAN be used totally clean by simply setting the BLEND control off.
    Or you can dial in a lot of drive, or anywhere between.
    The EQ in this channel is active and 'flat' is where they've included centre detents on the bass, mid and treble controls - 5 outta 10. It's a sweepable mid frequency control too. So, very versatile.

I've said it before and he goes again...

The "oooomph" that the Super Bassman (& SVT's) has is hard to describe, but, for me at least, allows me to hit notes up on the D & G strings and retain the "guts", power, ooomph.... of lower notes.

It's a "GUT PUNCH "
    Apart from SVT's, I've only found the same punch in the Orange AD200B. Which is about 200w, 4x6550 power tubes, but still has BIG transformers.

So, the design of the amp obviously makes the difference here, I don't know what difference the 6550s or big trannies make. I ONLY know what I hear, feel etc...

And, re the ported - tube amps thing, I've, again, already posted about earlier, but I've used my Super Bassman thru SVT410HLF cabs a few times ( I actually owned a SVT410HLF cab a few years ago) and it does indeed sound great.
    Thru the "darker" SLM made cab, it still around darn good, but I played it thru a later, maybe 2015 model SVT410HLF a couple months ago & as I expected, again sounded good, not as dark, but still pillowy and thick.
    Recently I used it thru a Heritage 410HLF and, like others have said, even nicer. Not AS deep and loose in the lows, but still rich & thick.
    If I was in the market for a squat 410 cab, this would definitely be on my short list

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Years ago I tried a Reeves 225 on an SWR G3. The cones visibly moved even lightly touching strings and it sounded terrible. Guess it was too much porting. Plugged Bass 750 hybrid back in and it was bliss. ‘60s British 100w all tube heads on ported cabs Kustom cabs, that was fine.
    Different heads for different cabs.
    Marshall Major on an SVT flatback was big fun.

8. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    I joined the 300 watt all tube club again when I picked up this svt2pro a month ago... Nothing compares to it, the heft behind every note is a feeling like no other. Even at low volumes it’s amazing sounding!

BD6D7C94-EB02-4BE2-BE0B-B652014A6615.

9. With the Reeves you probably had the head set for too much bottom although I've never tried one. I had a Marshall Major head years ago and used it with two ported Sunn 2000S cabs with JBL D-140's. I used to set it on about 8, It rattled everything every place I played, you could feel the air hitting you right in the stomach out at about 20' in front of the cabs, one place we played (big place too) used to call us The Big Wind:laugh:, I was a maniac when I was a kid. Eventually one of the little wires that went into the speaker cones pulled right out of the cone because of over excursion I played them so loud. We would play like this in little tiny places, we once did a gig in a new little place and the audience destroyed the place including ruining a stove somehow or other tipping it(?), was the first and last time that place had a band. Good times, haha! This was during the early 70's.

Arthur U. Poon and rodl2005 like this.
  10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Actually dialed all eq back. Port tuning is a significant thing. I could play that hybrid head really loudly with the active pre cranked on my bass. This was unusual. 2000s on an Ampeg V4b was a monster. But those Altecs were each sealed. Not applicable.

11. V4-B on a V4-B was a monster too, SVT on a V4-B was even better.

rodl2005 and chadds like this.
  12. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Matt Freeman is a monster. One of the best pick players ever in my opinion.

baxter_x likes this.