1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

300 Tube Watts is the only way for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outoftune, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Basically it all boils down to which you like better, there is absolutely no reason why a tube amp cannot be used with any compatible speaker, (impedance, rating etc.) I usually use my SVT's with the sealed 8 x 10 cabs, mine are early 70's flat backs and are only rated for 240 watts RMS, I actually think the ported 15's I have sound a little tighter when I really crank them, the SVT's sound tighter when played within their correct parameters.

ljazz likes this.
  2. I've been using Ampegs for years but my first good amps were Fenders. I recently bought a near mint '67 blackface Dual Showman head, I think the black face Fenders are the classiest looking amps made, love the new Superbassman's, haven't been able to try one yet though.. The Fender sounds great with an old flatback SVT 8x10, really cranks and is clear as a bell, still love the Fenders, can't wait to try it on a gig. I also use my SVT head with a PR 410HLF which is ported and it sounds great.

outoftune, mattwear and rodl2005 like this.
  3. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I haven't needed anything else in 10 years, although the new better Rubys that went in last fall made it even better. Most times the 2x10 stays at home. Besides all the 300W tube amp merits, it's also extremely expressive based on how you play, and twiddling the knobs on it a little and/or on the L-2000 gives a wide variety of tones. Now a keyboard also goes through it. But I swear it gained 10 pounds since I got it.
    575595_4819900294946_2082539738_n.
    Edit: Ported cabs.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Yes. Many tube amps used to be paired with ported cabs. B-15 in some incarnations, old Sunns, etc.

Ellery likes this.
  5. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    I can tell you from experience that Sunn tube heads sound "right" on Sunn ported cabs.

Korladis likes this.