300+ watt 1x12" combo???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Does anybody know of a 1x12" and tweeter combo with 300+ watts, a speaker output and preferably front ported? Does this animal exist?
  2. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    A GK 700RB/112 combo.

1 12" speaker, a tweeter front ported and 380 watts.

I don't think it's still in production, but there should be used ones out there.

I love mine! I run it alone or with an Avatar SB112 or B212.
  3. The Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout meets almost all of your requirements. It's 300W, but its tube preamp and down-firing radiator make it sound much louder. It is rear ported tho, if that's a big priority of yours. You also might want to check out the Eden, Ashdown and EBS websites, as they also make high wattage combos. I doubt there's much more out there than that.

All of these are somewhat expensive, as you pays for da power...
    Good luck,
    Greywoulf :cool:
  4. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i second the Mesa Boogie Scout. Tried it yesterday at my LGC and i loved it. It was sooo meaty for a 12". I'd like to see if they have the 15" next time im there. That with an extension cab might replace my ampeg b2r and 6x10. we'll see.
  5. Except I doubt you'll be able to put an extension on it! One of the Scout combo's drawbacks is that it only has a 4 ohm speaker in it's cab, while it's Walkabout 300 head is recommended for only 4 ohms minimum... So if you add another 4 ohm extension cab, that'll put you down below the safety zone at 2 ohms! I think one has to use the Scout either as a one-speaker combo, or else bypass the combo's 4 ohm speaker and connect up two other exterior 8 ohm speaker cabs...

But while it is a bit costly, I still think it's probably worth it to buy the combo; the Walkabout head alone go's for around $800, while the combo goes for about $1G. That means you get a pretty good downward-radiating 12" speaker box for $200..... (If you think about it in that way, it's cheaper than Avatar! :) )
  6. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    uugghh!!!!! No way! This puts a huge dent in my plans. Back to the drawing boards. But what do the radiator cabs do? I've seen a couple of pics with a walkabout scout and a second cab underneath it. I'd assume its powered.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, you can order the Walkabout Scout in either 4 ohm, or 8 ohm.
  8. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    so i'd have to order an 8ohm scout so i can use the extention cab that is 8ohms. That'll be 150 to each cab no? I have to call Mesa tomorrow and get the low down.
  9. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH

Mesa makes an extension cab for the scout. Look at their site; they have some pretty cool looking custom coverings for the Scout and sister cabs.
  10. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    All fairly close:

http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/bass/content.asp?product=ABM C110-300 EVO II Combo (1x10 but quite loud)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...2370792/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/481838/ (250 watts, not sure if this has a speaker output)

As you might know already, a single-driver 300 watt combo is very much a vortex range between portable combos and large combos or head/cab setups. If it's an option for you you'll have a lot more to choose from if you open up your search to include 300+ watt heads + combos.
  11. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    so i spoke to the guys at Mesa and the told me to order the cabs in 8ohms so that i can safely use two.
  12. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Give us a good critique when you get this setup. I've contemplated it myself. Are the scooped like the Ags?
  13. Love the scout 12" combo, but am concerned it may not "rock out" enough if i need it 2.
    but for the mellower stuff i am doing now it's perfect except that it's $3000 here in OZ.
    love the wight of it. :)