Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

300 watt cab with 500 watt cab ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RATZAX, Aug 23, 2005.

1. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    What will happen if I put my aguilar gs112 cab rated 8ohms 300 watts with a Avatar 112 Cab ratted 8 ohms 500 watts?

Will the Avatar be the dominant speaker?
    Would it be better to daisy chain the cabs or use a seperate speaker cable for each amp?

I checked archives but could not find the answer

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Not sure what 'dominant speaker' means. I think you are confusing 'power handling' (the point at which the speaker catches fire) with 'sensitivity' (how much volume you get for a specific amount of input power).

If the Avatar is more sensitive, it will be louder than the Aguilar.

As for power handling, assuming both vandors rate their speakers the same way, the Aguilar would be destroyed before the Avatar (but that doesn't have much to do with music). Since they are both 8 ohm cabs, the power will be evenly split between them, so if you drove 600 watts into the pair, the Aguilar would be getting it's maximum rated power.

They can run off the same amp channel (assuming it can drive a 4 ohm load). You might very well like the sound; you might not. The advantage of 2 power amps is that you could balance the volume of the 2 cabs if you wanted to do that.

There is probably not much different in how you wire them. Theoretically I suppose having 2 cables to the amp might give the 2nd cab a tiny amount more power (4' less cable to push power thru), but it certainly isn't a difference you would hear.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    esp pretty much summed it all up. case closed. ;)