1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

300 watt or more amp in 250 RMS cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JumpKing, May 25, 2011.

1. JumpKing

JumpKing

Mar 4, 2007
    I have two 1*12 8 ohm cabs rated 250 RMS. Now i'm looking for an 500 watt amp. In an ideal situation this amp should give 250 watts at 8 ohm (with one cabinet) and 500 watt at 4 ohm (with two cabs connected).
    However, most 500watt amps give 300w or more at 4 ohm. My question is : How harmful is a 300 watt or more amp in a 250w RMS cabinet? is it enough to be cautious with the volume knob? Or are there other more fundamental problems?

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Not a problem at all. Not to worry.

3. Agreed, up to a point! :)

As always, listen to your cabinets. If they start to complain turn down!

4. JumpKing

JumpKing

Mar 4, 2007
  5. While you're getting through the FAQ I'll add that you will be happy to know that a 300 watt amp will play nice with a 250 watt cab. If you wanted you could connect a 1000 watt head to your 250 watt cab without issues................until you turn it up too much and hear the cab complaining! :smug: The key is to use your ears.

6. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    My practice amp for home is a Hartke 350W head that puts out 275 W at 8 Ohms. The cab I use is a Hartke 120W 2x10 box so the Wattage is more than twice the speakers rating.

It is no issue at practice volume and I have pushed it at rehearsals on occasions, but....I only turn up to the end of where it plays clean.