1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

300 watts to 700 watts...what will the difference be?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoot-r, Sep 27, 2009.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Been using a passive Fender Jazz 4 into a Aphex Bass Exciter into a "1984" model G.K. 800 head, (300 watts at 4 ohms), into a 4 ohm Avatar 115H cab. Cabinet is rated at 600watts.
    I've got the opportunity to buy a G.K. 1001 RB II head, (700 watts at 4 ohms), at a more than a resonable price.
    My question is...using the same 4 ohm Avatar 115H cab what differences will I notice? Will there be changes in my tone by going to more than double the wattage I was using?

2. Hi.

The FAQ/Stickies are Your friend.

Assuming that the heads in question are voiced similarily and assuming that the cab in question is linear in it's power conversion (which it's not), You'll gain a little more than 3dB.

That 3dB is the difference needed for most people to tell two different volumes apart.

You'll be the judge whether it makes a difference or not.

Regards
    Sam

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Little to none. It's unlikely that your cab will take even 300 watts before farting out. Thermal power ratings aren't worth much.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think the tone difference will be b/w the 1001RB-II and the 800RB. I have not played the 800RB but everything that I have read is that it seems more powerful than the 300 watts that it's rated. Many people prefer the tone of the 800RB over the 1001RB-II. You'll have to try them both to determine if you're one of them.

5. The main gain will be more headroom plus some features the 800RB doesn't have.
    I went from an 800 to a 700RB II and am very happy with it. You can get the same basic tones as you're accustomed to.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You'd get alot more volume increase by adding more speakers to your existing head, for sure.

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I've read somewhere, (here on T.B. I think), that more watts will feel faster and will tighten up the lows...???

8. I own both and have run them thru a 4 ohm ul 310. Essentially no difference. The 800rb is a great amp for a 4 ohm cab. If you are going to keep the 115 4 and want more volume, go for an amp that will run at 2 ohms or a stereo rig. Either will let you add a 4x10 that will make a huge difference in volume. Or get a couple of 8 ohm cabs and sell the 4.

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!
    Having enough volume has never been a problem with my G.K. 800. (Used to run it through a Ampeg SVT 8-10.)
    What I'm wondering is...how will more than doubling the available power effect the tone?

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The tone would be affected by other aspects of the amp, mainly the preamp and won't have much to do with the power. It'll still be the familiar GK sound but won't sound exactly the same as the 800. The 1001's treble control is set at a higher frequency and it has an adjustable contour knob instead of the switch that's either on or off.

edit: Also playing through a single 4ohm 15 you probably won't notice any volume increase because the cab can't take it. The 800 is already feeding all it can take. If you need to be louder, get a pair of 8ohm cabs as stated earlier.