300 watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Feb 27, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    In this day and age,how well can 300 watts do for small-medium venues and drummer's????
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Very well. I play a Metro that puts out 240, and it is fine for small gigs. Medium size, it will work.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Very well! I'm currently playing through a 300w Hartke in pretty good sized venues that can hold several hundred people up to about a thousand. I have no problem being heard. But I play in a variety band. I'm not competing with 100+watts Marshall stacks!!
  4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Not all 300w amps are equal. They are not all as efficient as others, nor do they all sound like they have the same "loudness." My new rig, an EBS HD350 (350w) and NEO112 (1x12 cab) absolutely smokes my old Eden Metro combo (which was find BTW, nothing against it). I just can't believe how loud the EBS is, past three in my house is just painful. It might have something to do with it having a volume knob that goes to 11 :)
  5. Even a small drummer should be able to lift a 300W head easily, as long it´s solid state. With a heavy tube head like SVT you could use a larger guy, though...

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If it's all tube it'll go along way. If it's solid state it should work, although the B2R probably won't.
  7. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The 300 watt power section of the Gallien Krueger 800RB will go a long long way...........
  8. It depends on how efficient your speakers are. I've got an old Sunn Sorato with 2x15 EVL's that I think you could drive with a transistor radio. I've shaken the roof off of places with that cab and 80 watt 200s tube head. On the other hand, If you're using an Acme B2 and a 300 watt head, you're gonna sound real good but not very loud. My Hartke 4.5XL doesn't seem to need a lot of power either. Like I said, it all depends. and....................
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's another thread floating around that is similar to this. Click here .
  10. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Ditto on that. I'm not having any problems being heard in a band next to a loud drummer, 2 guitarist (both running half stacks), a keyboard player, percusionist, horn section and a MC. It also depends on a cab you use, mine is 4x10". Loud enough for me, but I haven't done any large gigs so 350W might not be enough in any situation... :meh:
  11. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN