1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

300w enough for 2 1x12 Avatars?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krafty, Apr 19, 2010.

1. krafty

krafty

Mar 22, 2010
    Holland, MI
    I've been doing a lot of reading (thanks to this forum) in preperation for buying my first non-practice amp setup. I've come to the conclusion that I'd really like to start out by trying a single Avatar 1x12 Neo cab and possibly add a 2nd one in the future. The Avatars seem to me to be a good combination of the sound I'm looking for and the price that won't get me forced to sleep in the garage.

The first cab would be driven by an old 1978 Peavey MK III Series bass amp (210w @ 4 ohms, 300w @ 2 ohms). 210 w into a 250-max Neo makes sense to me, but the question I run into is if I add a 2nd 4 ohm 1x12 later, is 300w enough for what now would be rated for 500w combined?

I have a feeling it will be fine, but you guys know so much more about all this than I do, so it can't hurt to ask. The Peavey was picked up dirt-cheap and gone through by an amp tech, and the manual specifically states it is ok with 2 ohm loads. I may consider adding a fan to it if I do run it at 2 ohms, however. It may not be tiny or sexy like the new GKs, Markbass or other amps, but it certainly fit my budget.

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    That should work just fine.

As a side note I would get two 8 ohms cabs instead of two 4 ohms cabs as the difference between 210W and 300W isn't huge. However, not every head can handle a 2 ohm load so you'll likely wind up having to get new cabs (or at least drivers) if you decide to upgrade your head.

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    PSPookie is right. What you are thinking of doing will be just fine. Just remember, by getting 2-4 ohm 112's, you are locking yourself into always having to use a 2 ohm amp, which is getting a little more rare these days. If the peavey craps out, I would go to a "pre-amp/poweramp" solution. There are more power amps these days that go to 2ohms than bass amps. I know peavey stuff pretty well and i think even if you went with 2- 8 ohm 112's for a 4 ohm load, the peavey amp would still be plenty loud. Watts and volume are very subjectable from brand to brand. This route would make your future purchase of a bass amp more 'flexible". Just a suggestion. I would like to hear some others chime in.

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Pushing the Mark III @ 4 ohms for 210 watts might really surprise you. "Old school" watts , like alot of Peavey stuff can be really loud. Just think of how many gigs have been done w/ Gk400rb's @ 4ohms. I think a 400rb produces about the same wattage as your peavey @ 4ohms. Give or take a few watts.

5. +1 to 2 4ohm cabs. . .

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    -1 to two 4 ohm cabs. The drivers used will fart out with more than 100 watts each, so anything more than 200w/4ohms is not going to get him any louder. Adding a third or even fourth cab down the road will.

7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I had one of those old PV's back in the day. heck, everyone did. The PV 'old school" watt rating is not quite at "tube watt" levels, but its superior to modern "transister Ampeg" watts and slightly better than twice current "Berhinger Watts."

I think the conversion is

1.0 Tube watt = 1.6 PVo watt = 2.4 Ampegss watt= 3.55 Berh watt

Thats from memory... I'd have to look it up.

:bag:

honestly though, prep for the future and go with two 8 ohm cabs as opposed to two 4 ohm.

8. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    I've used the Mark III and a Mark IV on occasion for practices/backup. They're very loud at 4ohms, and have a cool character to them too. I think i tried it at 2.67ohms once ( a 4 and an 8), and the difference was pretty marginal.

9. krafty

krafty

Mar 22, 2010
    Holland, MI
    Awesome advice guys, thanks. I think I'll bump the 1x12 to 8 ohms just for the future as suggested. It's kinda funny that modern amps seem (with a few exceptions) to be moving away from the 2 ohm stuff.

10. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010

ROFL :D:D

11. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Glad you posted the question. Looks like you got the advice you needed. Definitely get 8 ohm cabs.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    [FONT=&quot]While I know that everyone here loves and talks up Avatar stuff, I have an SB112 that I wasn’t really all that impressed with. I ran it with a few other cabs and by itself, and found that yes, with even just a few hundred watts it tended to ‘break up’. These are not cabs that “want” lots of wattage and I have a feeling that they would complain about it quicker than some of the cabs that “open up” with big power. I use those terms in quotation marks because people tend to use those terms when discussing cabinets, but I think it’s a fair amount of creative conceptualization.[/FONT]

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The drivers used by Avatar are of no lesser quality than those used by other manufacturers, they're actually better than average. The fact that the drivers used by them will fart out around 100 watts input is no knock against Avatar, the same applies to most twelves, including those used in many boutique cabs.

14. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010

hopefully they will make a single 15 then :hyper:

15. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Supposedly, the 15" cab is coming. There's a thread about here in Amps. :) I'm curious myself.

16. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    I'd feel more comfortable buying an Avatar 115 than a Acoustic 115. :oops:

17. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Could you explain this Bill?

I've put plenty more than 100watts into Epifani and Bergantino 12" speaker cabs and have never experienced any "farting out".

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I wouldn't dispute this at all. But I do think that many may have unrealistic expectations of a single 12" speaker in a fairly small box. And yes, the speaker sourced may be better than many on the market.

19. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    So would two 12s be a better option in this scenario:

the Neo 12 is 250W

the ceramic neo is 500W

Would two neo 12s react the same a the one 500W ceramic? :confused:

20. Agreed, i lived this exact scenario and got 2 x 4 ohm Avatar SB112's in fact. Worked great until I decided to "upgrade" my amp to one that only does 4 ohms min, it's been quite the gear shuffling since