1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

~300W LIGHT poweramp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Mar 3, 2008.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Title says it all. I find I have the tone control I need in my preamps and just want a clean poweramp that is *light*. By light I mean less than 10lbs.

Why the poweramp companies aren't doing the digital amps is beyond me. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

I'd like to keep the price less than $350, but I'll entertain higher

I'm not looking for tone out of the poweramp, but transparency.

Thanks

2. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Maybe I'm missing something.... All I see for their poweramps are 20lbs or greater in that wattage class. I'm looking for sub 10lbs. I was hoping Carvin had something as I like that company.

3. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    for a little more you can get the Mesa Walkabout head, which sometimes u can find for around 550ish. LOUD 300W, killer tube tone, 13 lb.

4. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Your best best is going to be a used AI Focus SA series 1 or 2. Now that series 3 is out, the series 1 and 2 ones are going for lower prices used.

6. I remember a 1 rack unit Peavey amp a few years ago; can't remember the weight at all, though. Sorry.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I don't know about any digital amps, but you might find some good class D amps that also have switch-mode power supplies.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Focus SA, definitely.

Alternatively, the preamp portion of a bass amp really doesn't add much cost, and you take advantage of the higher production quantities for heads. Thus, you might just consider buying a Class-D bass head and forgetting that it contains a preamp.

9. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Peavey DPC-750. Single rack space, 350 watts/side @4ohms. Will run 400 watts @ ohms if you only use one side. Could be bridged to run 700 watts @8ohms. No 4 ohm operation in bridge mode. Weighs about 12 lbs and is in the OP's price range. If you can find one.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    there are many "light" power amps, but frankly, that lightweight factor does come at a rather steep price.

with that said, i really like my QSC PLX2 1804.

weighs only 13 lbs., and blasts about 900 watts @ 4ohms. if you dont need that much power, there is a 1104 version, but weighs the same. and besides, we all could use more power.

only downside is that its two rack spaces. and yet, its only 11" deep!

11. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Or there's the Shuttle 3.0...not only do you get a power amp, but a preamp too :). It's a little over your budget though.

Asad

12. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    If you can find one Carver PM 300

1U rack space 12 lbs-300 watts bridged

built like a tank,about $150-225 used

i'll never sell mine..

13. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have one of these. Usually they go for around $200 used. I think there is one on ebay now. It's a deep amp, but as stated, about 11-12lbs. Sub 10lbs, I believe AI may be your only choice. There was also a DPC100 which had similar specs and size.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  15. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    With all of the current interest in light weight amplification I'm sure it won't be long before a number of manufacturers respond with a host of new ultra-light amps.

16. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    +1

Either the big boys (Crown/QSC/etc) are in development or the new kids (??) will provide the products and eat their lunch. Kinda typical in how large companies respond to technology changes imho... Anyone remember typewriter companies that adjusted to the word-processing takeover? I don't

17. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    The Euphonic Audio Micro 300. 325 watts @ 4 ohms and @ 2 ohms-2 lbs!!!. I am thrilled with mine!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool: