Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

300watt Amp shoot out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rat, Mar 23, 2005.

1. GK400RB IV

32.8%
  2. Behringer BX3000T

20.7%
  3. Ashdown MAG300

46.6%
  4. Harke 3500

8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I am looking for a new amp to gig with, I play any thing from Blues to hardcore metal (depending on the band I fill in for)

I really had good luck with GK amps, but Price is also a concern since I not in a working band yet.

here is what I'm Looking at:

GK400RB IV
    Ashdown Mag300
    Behringer bx3000t
    Harke 3500

gonna get a Avatar 212 cab ...based on the stong opinions in this forum :D

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    My Vote: Ashdown Mag300

Also, Take that Behringer off the list...

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Dude, Wheres the EDEN WT330 ? I will not vote in this rigged election!

4. My Vote: The GK400RB IV

Like Sutton said: "lose the behringer" - Its ok, but not a good amp if you gonna be playing a wide variety of styles - just my opinion... take it or leave it...

5. +1 for the Ashdown. :)

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Where is the Sunn Coliseum or Coliseum 300? One on ebay right now for $350

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What about the GK800rb. you can get one used for $300 on the 'bay :D

8. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Bass player just reviewed the Behringer BX3000T and cab and gave the head real good reviews. I have one and IMO I can coax a lot of good sounds out of her. :bag: :bag: (Prepares to get flamed!!)

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Mesa Walkabout 300

10. I too considered most all of the above amps and included a used eden 300 too. Cost was a really big factor, as was tone.

I would have bought the Mag 300 if I had been able to try one out and it sounded right to me. Though I tried I couldn't find any stores who carried the Ashdowns who could keep them in stock long enough for me to try one out. If it suits your tonal idea, it looks like one of the best all around values on the market.

I never really considered the Behringer but tried to buy the Eden several times at E-bay auctions without success (over my $ limit). The Hartke has some nice features (twin pre-amps one tube one SS which is a real plus, and I think you would do well if you wanted to get one, but what sold me was hearing a GK rbiv. It had all the tone and volume I wanted and so when I found one new for around $ 350. 00 locally I pulled the trigger and have been really pleased with it.

I would go for GK,Eden ( used), Hartke3500, Ashdown Mag 300, or even look hard and longingly at the new Kustom (1200?) which wasn't out when I was buying.

11. Ampeg SVT :p

12. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    EA iAMP 350?? Damn fine amp, and sounds RIDICULOUS live... :D

13. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Uggg I should have added that one ....was playing on one this week end..

both the GK and Mesa are $500 ish new at GC....trying to keep the cost down .. Both sound great

I should just save my pennies and buy a Mesa Bougie Scout Combo

14. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

I have it aswell, and when I used it, I liked it, but now that I've moved on to bigger and better things, I look at this amp with shame. I doesnt have alot of tones, and behringer lacks moral fiber. Also, Bass Player always gives good reviews, because Behriner pays them for ads, why would bass player risk getting paid?

15. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Easy choice as far as I'm concerned.

GK 400RB-IV.

16. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Out of the ones listed I would believe it or not go for the Hartke 3500. I used one for many years and it served me VERY well. TONS of tone shaping, plus a lot more power than the GK (should you need it).

Though, if the walkabout was up there I would totally go for that instead.

1st post btw, hi everyone. (I frequent this site alot, I have just been to lazy to register/post in the past).

17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

hey Joe ,
    welcome to TalkBass !!

i'd have to go with the Ampeg SVT ...
    300 watts of tube goodness .

{ i used to own the Hartke 3500 , good sound , just was not reliable enough for me ...}

18. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    +1

19. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

So I picked the GK because I think they offer the most bang for the buck among the choices offered.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown.