1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3015 fullrange in Greenboy Fearful Sub Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumper, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    There is one for sale locally, how would the Kappalite work in that cab?

2. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    i had a fearful 12sub that I had thought about removing the crossover from and running fullrange. never did it so I can't comment.

is it a 3015LH or 3015HO or just a 3015?

3. The OP is refering to the full range 3015 not the LF version.

As far as how it would work? Hard to tell. That cab is definitely not tuned for the non LF driver, and the LF by itself is not a stand alone driver.

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Plenty of cabs do work fine with the plain 3015, the sub probably isn't one. If you are planning to build one, go for a BFM, think the jack 15 is for one, if you don't mind fiddly, or fairly plain ported box is happy enough. I've put on in an Ashdown MAG 15 cab, and it sounded good, small ports might limit the power handling, but it was easy giggable loud.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I tried bypassing the crossover in my 12sub. It was mediocre at best. You really need that 6 mid paired with the LF. That scenario yields a glorious tone. Trying out other combinations can be really hit or miss... unfortunately mostly miss.

If I had a 3015 I'd build a barefaced Compact clone. That speaker sounds really good in that enclosure.

6. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I was planning on a F115 with no horn/tweeter. I have to admit the Xsonic 15 is intriguing.

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Here are Eminence plans for cabs for the 3015 . The medium plan would be a good one for a portable cab that gets the most out of your driver . Way better than just putting it in a box that it isn't designed for .

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015_cab.pdf

Use the V size that includes the speaker and bracing , that would be 2.8 cu.ft.
    use two 4" vents at 6.8" long and you should be good .
    Build it with good 1/2" plywood and brace it well and it should be killer .

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    +1

9. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I just looked at Jhawks site and it looks just like the sub cab as far as spacing. I'll have to talk to the owner and see if he built it, it looks good in the photos

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Too much cubic volume and too much port for a 3015.

11. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm going to disagree with most of the responses on this one, assuming it is actually a 3015 and a fearful sub cab.

A [del]Dually[/del] Bassic vs a fearful 15 sub is the difference of about 1.1cf. The sub is tuned to 45ish Hz, which happens to be a good tuning for the 3015 and probably close to the [del]Dually's[/del] Bassic's fb. So a quick pass in WinISD tells me a 3015 in a fearful sub cab will go a bit lower and fart out sooner compared to a [del]Dually[/del] Bassic I'd image some guys would dig that trade off. It's also easier to "shrink" the box with blocks of foam to tighten up the low end and reduce excursion than the reverse.

If the price it right, maybe? Obviously, going and playing the thing would help you decide if its a good deal. :smug:

12. I'm under the impression he's looking at a cheap empty 15sub and thinking of buying 3015 (non LF) to put in it. It can't be too hard to run the numbers on the combination.

A Dually has two 3015 in it? Apples and oranges.

13. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Doh. I obviously meant Bassic. Fixed it.

14. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Actually the seller has two of these and is keeping one claiming two is overkill. Asking price is $475.

15. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    If build to spec with decent hardware [grills/feet/corners] and a solid electrical network [wiring/crimping/soldering and mechanical installation of xover parts/jacks] = that's a vary attractive price. Pretty amounts to someone paying you $100 for letting em build you a GB 15/Sub init?

The smart play from there IMO would be to eschew swapping the woof and build a birdhouse sporting a 6NM410 + mid-xover parts... would cost less than a woofer swap and make for a more versatile rig.

16. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Birdhouse? Please translate :)
    Here is a photo of the cab.

Attached Files:

17. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    and another couple

Attached Files:

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    $475 for a 12sub is not that great of a price... as awesome as they are. I bought my 12sub used from TBer Cableguy for $300 and another one recently went for about $300 in the classifieds.

As to re-stuffing it with a 3015 vs the designed 3015LF, I don't think its going to work because the ports are too big. However, you may be able to plug up one of those ports (with some dense foam etc) and find success.

Still somewhat doubtful it will work out... best of luck. :)

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Birdhouse = Headcase for a dedicated mid driver.

20. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Ah, but this is a 15" which may not mean much, but still...