1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

30's-40's American Standard Upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by highlonesomeblu, May 1, 2006.

1. If I was selling or looking to buy a late 30's to early 40's American Standard Upright, What could I expect to pay or sell it for ???

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Your question is very general... A+ condition AS can go for over $3,000. B condition (average) AS go for around $2,000. C (poor) condition AS go for around $1,000... this all depends on the structural integrity of the bass (is the neck broken, is the top sinking excessively) and setup (is the fingerboard thick and well dressed, is the setup professional and good sounding).

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    For what it is worth, I paid $4k for my 1938 American Standard. I have also tried to sell it for that, and even lowering my price down to $3400 produced no results. I guess I paid too much. :meh:

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    BTW, I see you are in NC. Prices will be lower once you get out of the New York area.

5. It does have a serial number.

Jazzman: "BTW, I see you are in NC. Prices will be lower once you get out of the New York area."

Around here I have seen American Standard, Kay, King, etc. basses go for around $4000. I guess bluegrass pickers pay more for basses than folks in New York.

6. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    High Lonesome,

Where in NC you at?

7. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    There is one for sale in the talkbass classifieds.

Not as old as you are looking for but looks like the price is right.

8. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Last winter I finally sold a very clean '40s or '50s American Standard (I never could find the serial number) for $2500.00 after having it up for sale for nearly a year. It was the cleanest one that I've ever seen in person and sounded very big and even with gut strings or Eurosonic ultra-lights. Not many people seem to know about American Standards on the west coast. I'm glad that it went to a vary careful woman who plays oldtime music instead of the big, rough rockabilly guy who jumps all over his basses and has nearly destroyed his old King Moretone. These American Standard basses seem like a real bargain compared to the usually much smaller-sounding Kays that I see all the time.

Steve Swan

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Price tends to be market driven, and bass sales are kind of dependant on the sound factor as well. An old plywood bass that sounds great in a room full great sounding basses (both ply and carved) is not going to have the same market as a great sounding old plywood bass in a room with two other basses, both of which don't sound as good (or sound as good but are worse repair etc etc). Sam at Gage's always says that in order to get top dollar, the bass you are selling has to be the best sounding bass in that price range. If it is, you get the money, if not you either wait until attrition moves it to the top of the "best sounding" list or you ask less money.

But the other part of that is that one of the reasons that somebody like Dave HAS well over a hundred instruments on hand is because a LOT of bassists walk in his front door looking for instruments. When a lot of people want the same good sounding bass, you can get more money for it.

10. basstef

basstef Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    I paid us $ 3,000 for my old AS #40 last year including shipping from Usa to Italy. The conversion with the Euro was favourable, and then I spent a few more hundreds here for restoration. It may seem a bit too much but I was quite sure this was going to be a good bass. I was right, it turned out to be an excellent bass in its class. You just need to find the right customer, good luck!

11. Im in Scotland County.