1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

30th Anniversary Stingray questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz3625tonic, Sep 26, 2008.

1. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Hi, does anyone here have any input on the tone of the 30th Anniversary Stingray? Also, how does the back of the poly neck feel when playing for an hour or so? And are they running on the heavy side? Thanks for all your help. :)

2. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    I don't have one, but I checked one out at GC a few months ago.

The tone is to die for. Much like the tone on my 20th SR5 is enhanced, compared to a standard SR5, by the mahogany tone block, the mahogany body on the 30th SR4 enhances the tone compared to a standard SR4. It also adds to the weight.

Sterling Ball says it's the best SR4 they have ever made. Most of the reports that I have heard from people who own one seem to back that statement.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The one I had was simply awesome. The mahongany body gives a big natural bump in the low mids which makes for a deeper tighter tone, and a tighter snappier topend...much different than a standard 3eq StingRay. It actually sounded very similar to my '78 StingRay.

Mine was 9.5 lbs, not really heavy, but others have posted weights ranging from 9.2 up to 10.5 lbs that I could remember. Really, that's the same weight range as standard ash StingRays.

I grew up playing old model StingRays with gloss necks, it's the modern oil finished necks that bother me. So the 30th neck felt superb in my hands.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

+1. Not much to add as you hit it on the head IMO.

My 30th is well under 10 lbs, looks great, easy to play as I like the gloss neck and the sound is to die for. Blows away my 2007 LE SR and my recently sold SR5 and Sterling basses. I had '78/79 Stingrays in the 80's and it reminds me of those basses.... feel and soundwise.

In fact, I love mine so much that I just bought another one as a backup. Shows how impressed I am with this bass as the one I just bought (off another TB forumite a couple of days ago) is IDENTICAL to mine. Single H, fretted, etc.:bassist::hyper: I have twins!

My Sadowskys are not getting nearly as much play as my 30th lately. One of the best basses I have ever owned and I have owned lots.:bassist:

P.S. I did a 6 hour gig with it a few weeks ago and it was fine. Didn't feel heavy at all.

5. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Well, I just scored the 30th Stingray off of "SILVERBURST" that he had listed in the for sale forum. It's a bit over 10 lbs. :eek: but maybe I'll have to get a really good strap. :) Thanks for everyone's input!!!