1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

30th anniversary stingray.. tone/setup help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman454, Oct 21, 2013.

1. hey,
    I have jsut bought a 30th anniversary stingray and I am so far a bit disappointed in the tone,
    it seems a bit thin, compaired to my Ibanez sr924, which is a MIJ 1989 and passive...
    im thinking maybe I have become a passive bass man...
    or yeah have put a strings on the ray, wound the pick up a bit closer to the strings.. and running the bass at full, mid slightly boosted and treble slightly cut as if any more treble it just gets too clicky...
    it seems ok and cuts for some notes and but then some notes just die and get lost in the mix...
    wat sort of strings, gauge and eq setting do most people use with these basses??
    thanks in advance for any help

2. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    i just got rid of my Stingray got a P Bass its heaven passive for me too.....

3. Flatwounds are great on these basses. So are Ernie Ball Cobalt strings. You may also like to try using the passive input on your amp and cut the input a little - I have found that the passive input is only really needed for basses with 18 volt pre amps.

A way of EQ ing a Ray to get classic tone is to boost the bass and treble a little and cut the mid a bit. Have your amp flat - and if you're used to playing something like a P bass if you dig in hard the bass will respond accordingly - this can be the source of clatter especially with a low set up and a pick up too close to the strings. You can find set up details on the FAQ on the Musicman forum.

As a matter of interest how much did you pay for your 30th? They're widely regarded and the mahogany body with strings through enhances the tone and sustain - indeed Bob Babbitt can be seen playing one on You Tube with a big smile on his face - and no clatter :)

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Get a fresh set of strings and a setup. I like ernieball coated strings on mine. I play it exclusively in my punkska band and have no time cutting through and being heard. What amp are you using by the way? I have a feeling that may be your problem.

5. nah no problem with my amp... although I had the bass slightly boost and lo mid cut, high mid and treble pretty flat... thinking maybe the ray needs those low mids to cut through... but then I want to deep punch not to much of a mid pop... and this ray is way to glassy if the treble is anything above flat on the bass eq... its got new strings on it now. and It had flatwounds on it when I bought it and it was completely dead
    thanks for the replies though guys cheers

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I loved the 30th I had, wished I didn't have to get rid of it when I did. Sounded beautiful with that all-mahogany body. But yes, I ran it with treble knob flat, the mid usually flat. The bass knob I always ran with just a tad (15-20%) above the center notch. Settled-in nickles also make a big difference if you're trying to tame highs on a 3-band Ray. But my amp settings are always bumped in the low mids. I also do not use tweeters.