31 band Equalizer + Poweramp... why not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 21, 2009.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am considering buying a 31 band eq and using that as my main source of tone shaping. I'd likely have to use another unit to drive the poweramp and would probably use my PJB Bass Buddy to do that.

Is using a 31 band eq overkill?

Who's using one and what's your experience?

2. and here i thought having both a hi-mid and low-mid EQ control was a bit overkill

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

31 band is what you use for manual feedback control in a PA. Even then the dips at each crossover point is annoying to say the least. You want to do that to your bass signal? Enjoy? They are cheap enough to try out.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed, there are phase problems at every single band overlap, and even in the case of Rane or other carefully-designed systems that claim to have cured phase issues, there are still audible artifacts that mess with your tone at every overlap point. You'd be much better off using e.g. a 5-band parametric EQ, as that way you get the same amount of control, with fewer band-overlap problems. Personally I think two bands of fully parametric, and two hi/lo shelving bands, is the most anyone would normally/reasonably need for a bass rig.

5. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    +1 on the parametric, I've got an old 5 band Phase Linear (made for PA) parametric Eq, it works great for bass, I think I used it alone as a preamp once.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get parametric, graphic, RTA, and presets all in one
    Behringer DEQ2496
    Use it in the PA or studio.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Doesn't Doug Pinnick use two of them? I know he uses graphics, and one has nothing but lows and low mids and the other has nothing but mids and highs. Behringers, too.

I think 31 band is way overkill, but you wouldn't be the first bassist I've seen do it by a long shot.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well now I've just seen that the ART version is available as a dual 15 band. I could use the first band to set my primary tone and the second to set my pick tone (which I try to make to sound close to fingers... maybe 4 songs per nite).

Is the 15 band going to have the same phase/overlap problems?

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    That looks interesting.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The 15-band will have about 14 "problems", compared to the 30 problems of a 31-band EQ.

The problem with the two tone idea you've got there is there is no provision for switching between the two channels, either at the input or the output.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Oh, I thought I saw a bypass switch on each channel. I thought I could mostly play channel one, then bypass it and engage channel two. Perhaps I'm missing something.

[​IMG]

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Actually yeah that should work. Many two-channel EQ's don't have independent bypass switches, so I didn't think of that.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's major overkill, but do it anyway.

14. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    It may be overkill but go with the sane that more=better.

15. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I messed with a 31 band and it was just a waste of time, I could get all the dial in with three knobs so I pulled it out. My 4PROS have 9 band EQ's designed for bass and I dont use it.

Think about this, how many EQ's or tone controls does a guy need in his signal chain to dial around?

My radio station and my race cars were all built around one principle, KISS. Take all the extra gizmos and glue the knobs. You climb in a racecar and what controls do you have? GO and STOP...

Well in my opinion a gig is like a race... Make things simple and you will win...

Lately I've been just practicing with my 410HLF, an SVP1600 power amp using one channel and my TLAudio 5051 preamp with the EQ shut off. (very clean) WHY? Because I have an EQ on my American Deluxe Jazz and the controls are right next to my hand. Do I spin those knobs around on my bass very much? NAW... Once you have what you want, there's not much left to do.

TOO much BOOM, dial down the bass a little.

Need to fill a rack space? Put a vent grill in it.

Its just rock and roll and I like it.

BOB

16. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You make a good point Bob. My custom Stambaugh is being built with me requesting no tone or vol knobs on the face of the bass (but still in the control cavity set to where I like them). So I like my basses very simple.

As to amps when I get *my* tone I ususally leave it alone unless I am dealing with a troublesome room that needs eq tweaking. On my LMII I left it flat with the VLE at about 9:30 and my tone control on my bass a little less than halfway cut... and that's it.

However, I do need the preamp (in this case) to get me where I want to go and if it takes alot of knobs to do it, so be it. I also definitely need an alternative tone control method to dial in my pick tone. Usually I'd just use my old Boss bass eq... punch in when needed.

17. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    +10 on the parametric EQ

Graphic eq's were made to be convenient, Parametric was made to be accurate.

18. T.B.A.

T.B.A.

Oct 1, 2008

+100000000

19. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Didn't Geddy Lee from Rush do this for a tour, it was bass into 2 X 31 band EQs and then power amps or PA (it was in one of the BP mags).

31 Band just gives you more division and hence more precision in EQ.

20. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    If you want precision, parametric is the way to go. I read this article explaining how parametric is better than graphic in EQ Magazine, but I can't find a copy of it online to show you people.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021